Lighting for under bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

since it is accepted that under the bath is un zoned could i do the following?

I have my bathroom lights ( 12v down lighters- mains fed with individual transformers) on a dimmer switch)
I know that if the bath light is on a seperate switch it will never get used

so i was intending to tap off the main light feed drop it down through the stud wall ( or failing that just run the cable down the other side of the wall which has a cupboard and through the wall) then could i just fit some baton from wall to walland run the cable with 3 or 5 ceiling roses and some dimmerable energy saving bulbs?
either that or just a long dimmerble fluro light?

would this work ok?

not to worried about the individual lights shining through the frosting as I intend to colour the panels with lighting gel!

thanks all

Sponsored Links
You could if you like getting electrocuted to death in your baths I guess.

Baths I understand are a haven & very relaxing & I have a set up that does me OK; perhaps I’m missing a trick here but why on earth would you want lighting underneath your bath when your lying in it with your eyes shut listening to decent music or looking at the ceiling with, perhaps, some aromatic candles or, as in my case, looking into the garden :?:

Sponsored Links
Baths I understand are a haven & very relaxing & I have a set up that does me OK; perhaps I’m missing a trick here but why on earth would you want lighting underneath your bath when your lying in it with your eyes shut listening to decent music or looking at the ceiling with, perhaps, some aromatic candles or, as in my case, looking into the garden :?:

I disagree, I have seen lights behind a glass brick wall and it looked awesome

Would only work with certain shape bath that would have a glass wall instead of a bath panel

Not being in a zone isn't the issue - you could actually fit lights in the bath itself, provided they were suitable for that location.

A collection of ceiling roses (or batten holders) won't be any use, as there is the issue of someone installing incandescent lamps in them. CFLs are no use either, since these still get hot when in use. Being in an enclosed space will only make this worse.
You may as well forget about the existing dimmer on the wall, since this could well be at or near it's maximum load anyway, and even if not, the type of lighting suitable for locating under a bath almost certainly won't be compatible with the dimmer.

A realistic solution to this lighting would be LED strips, and if you want different colours, get RGB types so you can set whatever colour you want. These require a dedicated controller, and remote controls are available so the controller and lights would be completely sealed under the bath, and you just need the battery operated remote to switch them on/off, change colours and whatever else.
Such as this: http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/self-adhesive-tape-leds-metre-lumen-metre-p-1517.html

The mains supply would have to be a normal on/off switch. If you are still concerned about them not being used due to having a separate switch, then a motion sensor could be fitted to activate the lights automatically.

Obviously, all of this is notifiable work and should only be done by those who know what they are doing. Otherwise, injury and death are almost inevitable.

Not being in a zone isn't the issue - you could actually fit lights in the bath itself, provided they were suitable for that location.

A collection of ceiling roses (or batten holders) won't be any use, as there is the issue of someone installing incandescent lamps in them

Ok I sort of see that ( is this a legal requirement)but surely there is the potential of any light fitting being changed

. CFLs are no use either, since these still get hot when in use. Being in an enclosed space will only make this worse.

wont that just keep the bath warmer for longer lol ok so i see the point of that but even if they were low wattage would this really be a problem?

You may as well forget about the existing dimmer on the wall, since this could well be at or near it's maximum load anyway, and even if not, the type of lighting suitable for locating under a bath almost certainly won't be compatible with the dimmer.

The dimmer only has 3 low voltage lights so should be ok
and are there not dimmerable fluorescent lights ( or dimmerable ballastsThis is where i am confused - I thought if the under bath area ( with a sealed fixed panel) was unzoned ( as per the previous thread) am i wrong in thinking that if its unzoned then i could put more or less anything (within reason) there (obviously taking into account heat etc
)

A realistic solution to this lighting would be LED strips, and if you want different colours, get RGB types so you can set whatever colour you want. These require a dedicated controller, and remote controls are available so the controller and lights would be completely sealed under the bath, and you just need the battery operated remote to switch them on/off, change colours and whatever else.
Such as this: http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/self-adhesive-tape-leds-metre-lumen-metre-p-1517.html

I dont want colour changing just a simple single colourd glow from the bath ( and i have access to so much lighting gel!!)The mains supply would have to be a normal on/off switch. If you are still concerned about them not being used due to having a separate switch, then a motion sensor could be fitted to activate the lights automatically.

Obviously, all of this is notifiable work and should only be done by those who know what they are doing. Otherwise, injury and death are almost inevitable.

Because i like the idea of a subtle glow to "uplight" the bathroom

its your atmospheric mood lighting

and all this stems from the fact that we like the bath panel with the frosted glass inserts and thought it would be funky to have a "glow" from them!

You can buy transparent baths made from toughened glass, glowing water ?

Lots of lights and the water stays warm :D

Too many and you get boiled :cry:

can we get back on track though please

can i safely and legally put a fluoroscent strip with a dimmable ballast under my bath??

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back