R4 card - Nintendo DS Lite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Someone advised me that i should buy the above R4 card so that i can download some games to it for my daughter's ds.
I bought an R4 (ndsl/nds) and bought a cd with about 60 games on it from a carboot.
The card is showing that i have downloaded some games but when i put it in the ds it comes up "couldn't find ds menu.dat" - does anyone know what this means or have i done something wrong?
Maybe the ds needs to be chipped? Any answers would be gratefully received.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
you dont have to chip the ds to recognise the r4 card, my girlfriend had this problem and after much searching found out that you need to reset the date on the console settings to a few years ago. Hers is set to 6/12/2005 as an example.

Just to let you know ive just tried that date but its still not working.
Any other ideas?
thanks anyway

Sponsored Links
there is a lot of info on the internet for these cards and problems, sorry i cant help anymore but im sure you will find the answer

Many people have trouble setting up their r4ds.
There are so many versions of the r4ds with different versions of firmware it can make it a complete nightmare to set it up and get it working .

http://www.r4ds.me/download/r4ds.html#1

This site may have the file you are looking for. Unzip it to reveal 4 files:

2 folders
_system_
_moonshl

2 files
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS

Drag and drop them straight onto your sdcard - do not create any subfolders for the 4 items

I also put another folder called "games" on my card and put all the .nds game files in there to keep everything tidy.

Next time you boot the DS Lite, [assuming the firmware is for your version of R4], it should start up ok.

Homer

Hello
Thanks for the reply.
Ive just had a look at the web site but I think that im "in over my head here". Haven't really got a clue where to find them. Not sure where to get the file from as there are so many to download (kernal downloads etc). A point in the right direction would be much appreciated.
thank you.

Hello Homer
thanks for that info.
The easy part - I have download 1 to my desktop.
When i click on it it is saying windows cannot open this file - and is re-directing me to use the web service listing different file extensions to use ie winzip (which isnt free), winace etc??
Any suggestions?
many thanks again

http://www.7-zip.org/

Take the download link for the exe file [very near the top] and run it once downloaded - it's free.
It takes about 10 seconds for the file download to appear -
you will be directed to another page which will say "your download will begin shortly" - it will appear!!

Once 7z is installed open it up and look for your zipped file.

Homer

p.s.

As a matter of interest - before installing 7z - if you right-click the kernel zip file, do you get any options? ie open compressed file or anything like that?
I thought that xp/win7 came with it's own inbuilt ability to open compressed files.

Ive right clicked the kernel zip file and it says - open, send, cut, copy, create short cut, delete, rename, properties.
Ive run the file. Should I have save the 7z file into the kernel file ive saved in my desktop?
Im sorry I may just have to give this up as im not really getting anywhere, it sounds easy but im finding it still way over my head!
thanks again

Right click the kernel again and look for "Open with" - hover your mouse over it and take the option, "Choose Programme"

Click on Browse - the Program Files box will open up.

Look for the 7z folder and open it

Highlight the 7zFM.exe file and choose open, then OK at the next box

You should then get another box opens with the folder "English" inside -

Click the Blue 'extract' button and you should get Copy to:

C:\Documents and Settings\****\Desktop\English-1.18.rar\ or similar

Fingers crossed - that should be it this time.

Homer

This happened with my ds, my son downloaded all the games again and it worked. When games are downloaded the dat file is also downloaded, this is where the console gets its information to play the game. If you download them again it should work.

Sponsored Links
Back