changing my lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can i change my existing light in the kitchen for 5 or 6 50w down lighters all wired from a hd jbox ie 1 cable for each fitting.would this have to be part p approved or is it non notifiable.thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
can i change my existing light in the kitchen for 5 or 6 50w down lighters
Yes though you would be mad to do so- 300watts for 60watts doesn't make economic sense.
all wired from a hd jbox ie 1 cable for each fitting.
very big jb needed and jb must be accessible.
would this have to be part p approved
Yes
or is it non notifiable.thanks in anticipation.
No

Sponsored Links
in your opinion what would be a better option,must be dimmable.

Not sure why you need a dimmer in the kitchen - it is a work place! While downlights can be dimmed - they tend to just put spots of light on the floor rather than lighting the kitchen as a whole. You would end up putting undercupboard lighting in as well to give you the light you need.
By the way if you just replace your current light unit, which I assume is a central pendant light or fluorescent tube, with a similar single unit then it is not notifiable.
I would suggest that you search the web using the search term IP 44 rated lighting or something similar. There are lots of designs out there.

If you really must have spot lights, get a single fitting with four or five spots mounted, then it's a non-notifiable replacement. But spots ain't a good idea for kitchens.

PJ

Fluorescent lights can be dimmed - either get ones with dimmable ballasts, or ones where the ballasts can be easily replaced and swap them for dimmable ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back