Fused spur for shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day all,

I am in the process of renovating a bathroom, and have to move the shaver socket by around 200mm (to get it firmly into zone 2 since moving the basin). Wiring is no problem, it is already there - I'm just moving the socket up the wall a bit.

But... I have noticed that the socket is spurred directly from the lighting ring in the loft, all earthed up and everything, but there is no fused outlet anywhere specifically for the shaver socket. Should there be one on a shaver socket? I'm just thinking that should we ever need to isolate the socket we would have to kill the whole upstairs lighting ring, rather than just the socket?

Or am I being silly?

And whilst I'm here, I have bought an Airflow Icon 30 extractor fan to replace the old one. The spec says the IP rating is IPx4, but the instructions from Airflow say that it's OK for zone 1 (planned position is above the shower cubicle - shower tray to ceiling height will only be around 2150mm). I just wanted to make sure I got it right before I cut a 4" hole through my newly plastered ceiling!

Many thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Good day all,

I am in the process of renovating a bathroom,
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

and have to move the shaver socket by around 200mm (to get it firmly into zone 2 since moving the basin).
The Zones are not based on handbasin positions - why should moving the basin mean you have to move the socket? For sure you might want to, having moved the basin, but why do you have to?

I'm just thinking that should we ever need to isolate the socket we would have to kill the whole upstairs lighting ring, rather than just the socket?
You would need to, but how likely is it? You're probably more likely to introduce new potential points of failure by adding a switch than to benefit from one.

Or am I being silly?
I think you are being a bit silly to be doing electrical work when you don't really know what you're doing.

There was the confusion over bathroom Zones.

Lighting circuits are not rings.

And there's this:
The spec says the IP rating is IPx4, but the instructions from Airflow say that it's OK for zone 1
Why the "but"? IPx4 is OK for Zone 1, and you should know that.

Good day all,

I am in the process of renovating a bathroom, and have to move the shaver socket by around 200mm (to get it firmly into zone 2 since moving the basin). Wiring is no problem, it is already there - I'm just moving the socket up the wall a bit.
This requires notification under Part P of the Building Regulations.

But... I have noticed that the socket is spurred directly from the lighting ring in the loft, all earthed up and everything, but there is no fused outlet anywhere specifically for the shaver socket. Should there be one on a shaver socket?
It is normally run from the lighting circuit (not ring).
I'm just thinking that should we ever need to isolate the socket we would have to kill the whole upstairs lighting ring, rather than just the socket?
One way to achieve this would be to put a dual pole pull switch between the lighting circuit and the shaver socket. Though you will have to weigh the extra cost with the likelihood of you ever having that situation.

And whilst I'm here, I have bought an Airflow Icon 30 extractor fan to replace the old one. The spec says the IP rating is IPx4, but the instructions from Airflow say that it's OK for zone 1 (planned position is above the shower cubicle - shower tray to ceiling height will only be around 2150mm). I just wanted to make sure I got it right before I cut a 4" hole through my newly plastered ceiling!
If the instructions say it is okay in zone 1 then you are okay to fit it where you say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back