Hemp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not the smoking variety.

I've noticed that the back of the tin of Boss White says to use hemp when making joints (ooer!). I was in B&Q the other day and they were selling some in their bargain bin so I bought it. Anyone still use it? It looked just like some sandle-wearers pony-tail.

Any 'tips' for my 'hemp joints'? :p :p

Sponsored Links
Yeah when running heating/chilled water in barrel always provided with hemp and boss white. Its cheap and does the job. Shouldn't be used on potable water services though.

I couldn't explain in typing how I hemp up a fitting/pipe. Its obviously not hard but there is a little technique. Maybe have a look on youtube?

BTW what does 'potable' actually mean? Just water you drink or hot feed?

Sponsored Links
Hemp and paste was the forerunner of PTFE tape. Goes back to the steam age.

Only time I have used it was when I did a bit of LCS pipe fitting many moons ago. The old boy I was under used to insist on using the stuff. Spent most of my days covered in oil from the Rems thread cutter, and paste from the hemp joints. Didn't stick at it long!

I'm sure it has its uses, but I prefer to leave it in the steam age, and use PTFE. That's progress!

But PTFE doesn't seal the threads whereas hemp/boss white does.

:?: :?: :?: :?:

How sealed do you want your threads? I don't know about you, but I call a thread sealed when it doesn't let fluids or gas in or out. PTFE has been carrying out this function for quite a while now.

Thanks for your input Joe. You assume that all plumbers are modern-day highwaymen who rip old dears off on boiler changes. Now PTFE doesn't seal threads. :rolleyes:

How sealed do you want your threads? I don't know about you, but I call a thread sealed when it doesn't let fluids or gas in or out. PTFE has been carrying out this function for quite a while now.

Thanks for your input Joe. You assume that all plumbers are modern-day highwaymen who rip old dears off on boiler changes. Now PTFE doesn't seal threads. :rolleyes:

Totally agree with LT55.

Hemp and paste used to be the way for barrel, but even up/2 doesnt allow its use on gas pipework any more

Totally agree with LT55.

Hemp and paste used to be the way for barrel, but even up/2 doesnt allow its use on gas pipework any more

Is the long screw and backnut not exempt or have the regs changed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back