Windscreen Washer motor on Mazda MX5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an MX5 coupe sport 2.0. The windscreen washer motor has stopped working, when I tap it with the end of a screwdriver it works again but only for so long. I contacted the garage where I bought the car and they are surprised, said they have never had any bother with these. They have quote me £23 + VAT for the part plus £52 + Vat labour to fit. Has anyone else had this problem. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Never had this problem with MX's, but why not go to a good motor factor
(TMS, Eurocarparts, Andrew Page etc) and see if they can fix you up with a replacement motor? A firm called Blueprint has a huge range of Japanese stuff.
The motor is a push fit into the bottom of the washer bottle (usually) and I'd be surprised if it takes more than 1/2 hour to fit. An independant garage would be pleased to help you.
John :)

It may not be the motor. It may simply be a bad electrical plug connection, that when you tap it with a screwdriver makes again. I would wait till the next time it fails and check it with a DVM

Sponsored Links
Never had this problem with MX's, but why not go to a good motor factor
(TMS, Eurocarparts, Andrew Page etc) and see if they can fix you up with a replacement motor? A firm called Blueprint has a huge range of Japanese stuff.
The motor is a push fit into the bottom of the washer bottle (usually) and I'd be surprised if it takes more than 1/2 hour to fit. An independant garage would be pleased to help you.
John :)
As Burnermanm says the washer motor is usually a push fit, if you have access to tap it then you probably have enough room to change it.
£52 plus vat to change it, is exploitation, it's only a ten minute job (max)
it might well be just a loose connection, Europarts will probably supply a new motor cheaper that the main dealer, if it does prove to be the motor.

Wotan

Did sound rather a lot for such a small thing. They must see us women coming !! :oops:
This is rip off Britain, almost everyone is out to charge the maximum amount, while smiling and giving you the impression they are doing you a favour.
Have you any brothers, or colleagues who would help you out?

Wotan

As already mentioned, check the leads going to the pump. Probably loose?

If not take the pump off and drop in to your local breaker they throw them pumps away with the washer bottle.

Say it for a Fiat, you'll get it cheaper. Don't let on its for a rag top!!

Pity I'm so far away, I'd fit it for you as a friend

Sponsored Links
Back