SWA Cable Size Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a motor which will run for 10-15mins each day and I need to connect power to it. The motor is 230v / 2100w and the length of run is around 75m from CU to motor but I will get around 85m or so to be sure.

The cable size calculator at TLC states 4mm swa. I know its only a guide but do you think I should go for 6mm to be on the safe side?

Nothing else will run of this cable, only the motor so I need to lay the cable into the trench that I have dug.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Marked on the motors panel when I last checked it was 14.4A. I will get a better look at it tomorrow to be sure.

Basically if it is 14.4A, I need to pick a cable to handle that amp?

Sponsored Links
With a 4mm² the volt drop is very high tbh. It calculates out to 11.88 volts where the maximum permissible is 11.5 volts. The R1+R2 will be 0.69 Ω so assuming you have a decent Ze shock protection shouldn't be a problem but the volt drop is.

75 metres is a huge run. A 6mm² will lose 7.88 volts and will see an improvement in disconnection time. A termination for a cable of this size is still a 20mm gland so ensure you have a sufficient cable entry and enough room to terminate it (assuming you choose to purchase this size). I'd question the TLC calculator at this point too.

Sorry - I thought you meant you'd question it in respect of the figures for 6mm² which you posted.

The cable size calculator at TLC states 4mm swa.

I still wouldn't question it.

I would, however, question the use of the running current to size the cable rather than the starting current.... ;)

What type of motor is it and what sort of mechanical load has it when it starts ?

Does it reach normal running speed rapidly or does it accelerate slowly to normal speed.

Marked on the motors panel when I last checked it was 14.4A. I will get a better look at it tomorrow to be sure.

That seems a bit low and very precise for a 2 Kw motor's short duration start up current. Our 1 Kw pump motor pulls over 15 amps for a few cycles when it starts.

Basically if it is 14.4A, I need to pick a cable to handle that amp?

The impedance of the cable must be low enough that the motor is not undervolted ( by voltage drop along the cable ) during start up. Under volt is not a serious problem for most motors but for some if can be a serious problem.

For some types of motor a 10% undervolt at start up increases the time the motor takes to reach full speed and the windings have to carry the start up current during this time. There may be a limit to the time the motor windings can carry the start up current before they overheat.

Also is there a need to consider an isolator at the motor end of the cable to prevent the motor being started remotely when the equipment is being serviced ?

I couldn't get at the motor today to take all the details down but its a motor to drive an auger of short length. These motors are low rpm so once they start, there is no speed build up like a fan if you know what I mean.

The motor comes with a 15A Start, Stop/Reset control box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back