New Home trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have supply to my kitchen which is only interupted by switching off both of the 30amp MCB\\\'s in the consumer unit. There is also what appears to be a spur with 2 double sockets on it? How can this be, are you allowed 2 double sockets on a spur, is it a spur, or a radial, but then why 2 MCB\\\'s? hope you can help. :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm actually not a qualified electrician but have done a fair bit of renovation and extending of circuits. I would be interested to know if all the sockets in your kitchen are on both MCB's?
In a previous house I actually had 4 double sockets on a single spur, admittedly it was a 60 amp line but my pal (who is an electrician) reckons you can have quite a few on a spur and apart from possible low voltage at the extreme end there's no real problem, just don't have everything switched on at once if you can help it!
Good Luck

it sounds like who ever did it has put each end of a ring onto an MCB (both ends of the ring should go to the same MCB, this is becasue if there is a fault in thoery (assuming it is 2.5 mm cable) the cable will melt first as it is protected by 2 x 30 amp mcbs meaning 60 ms could flow beofre any thing happened. (turn the MAIN switch off first and have a look)

As for spurs acording to the regs you can have one outlet per socket on the ring, but you can not take off a spur from a spur

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back