bt prehistoric line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can any 1 let me know how to wire these coloured wires to the main box inside there are 3grey wires 1purple 1black 1green 1orange 1 white. And what numbers they are supposed to go to in the box ty

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The orange and white go on to 2 and 5. The 3 grey are steel wires to protect the overhead cable from birds landing on it and breaking it they should be cut away to the neck of the cable. The green and black are incase you want a 2nd line or if your neighbour needs them. Note that if you have had problems in the past or a cowboy installed it try the green / black in 2 and 5. If you have a meter check all combinations and when you get approx 50v dc that is the right pair. This is not polarity concious so any wire in 2 any wire in 5 of the pair with 50v. GR/BL is pair 2 Or/Wi is pair 1.
If you have a new NTE just use the screws marked A and B this is the right way to do it but doing as above is just as good. Hope this helps.

Now for the cowboy answer. bare back pair 1 and pair 2. Spit on your index finger, Place the bared wires on your finger one pair at a time. One wire will slowly fizz you have the right pair when this happens. You will not feel this unless you hold it for 3 or 4 minutes. You will not get a shock unless someone phones you at that point (even at that it will not hurt just annoy and you will soon let go). I have done this about 1 thousand times but again it's a cowboy trick and any spark who reads this will say it could kill you. 20 years later I'm still here but do at your own risk. I learned it from an NTL tech as BT never taught this and supplied us with meters. Note that this is the equivalent of holding 5 small square batteries against a wet finger at the same time. I would not like to try it on my tongue.

You will not get a shock unless someone phones you at that point (even at that it will not hurt just annoy and you will soon let go).

Lets hope the surprise of the ringing voltage doesn't make you lose your grip at the the top of a ladder.

But as you say it is a cowboy trick and we all know what trouble cowboys can cause.

Sponsored Links
You will not get a shock unless someone phones you at that point (even at that it will not hurt just annoy and you will soon let go).
Lets hope the surprise of the ringing voltage doesn't make you lose your grip at the the top of a ladder..

Lets hope no one has put a main socket anywhere that has to be reached by a ladder :cool: Now that would be a cowboy trick.

Good argument Simonpolly pity it bears no relevance to the problem like your 2nd quote, read the initial post. I have used plenty for neighbours, so inherently it is. Doubtful Newdawn cares what the pair numbers are but well done for repeating what has already been said with bigger spaces. Surely the forum is for giving help and passing on useful tips not for quoting Openreach guidelines. Bet you signed CSIP and FRS first in your area, just an observation. Good shout on the purple string, I just ignored it. Best to keep any further digs to PM's.

Good argument Simonpolly pity it bears no relevance to the problem like your 2nd quote, read the initial post. I have used plenty for neighbours, so inherently it is. Doubtful Newdawn cares what the pair numbers are but well done for repeating what has already been said with bigger spaces. Surely the forum is for giving help and passing on useful tips not for quoting Openreach guidelines. Bet you signed CSIP and FRS first in your area, just an observation. Good shout on the purple string, I just ignored it. Best to keep any further digs to PM's.
Who's got out of the wrong side of bed then? Chill.

If you're going to carry on going off on one, at least understand who said what about what and to who and reply accordingly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back