just spent ages painting woodwork with water based satin...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...and it looks terrible. The wife says I have to do it all again...arrgghhhh!

I stripped and primed all my woodwork with leyland acrylic primer/undercoat and then used johnstones acrylic satin as a top coat. Lots of coats of both the undercoat and the top and it still looks crap. I do like the 'whiteness' of it and the fact that it dries so quickly that I can carry on painting with the kids running about but anyway, it has to go...

So, I'm wondering if I should give an acrylic gloss a go or just give up and get a tin of oil based. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Canonbeck. I can't be of much help (sorry) but can I ask why you think it looks terrible?

Have you not managed to get a good finish? Or is it something else (not used to it/not to your taste?)

I'd be interested to know as I am about to do something similar.

its much easier to get a good solid finish free of brushmarks with oil based provided you apply and lay off the paint correctly, i did some crown acrylic satin on a bath panel back in the summer and it was fine. I worked quickly, layed it off nicely and used a decent brush. there is an additive you can put in to keep the paint 'open' for longer can't remember what its called someone else may though, i know that owatrol is the oil based version if that helps.

Sponsored Links
well, it looks kind of unfinished - like its just undercoat. I've been using a purdys brush and have been rollering my doors (totally flat - no panels). The roller hasnrt worked very well either - lots of flat spots. And this is after multiple coats of the stuff.

I think another problem for the wife is that its just not gloss. She wants gloss (this is my fault).

So, is the acryllic gloss worth a go or should i go back to the old yellowing oil based stuff...

Its your call really, the new 2010 voc reg stuff is yellowing prematurely and as i understand it the paint companies are re-configuring and the 'new' new stuff will have a blue lid. It's a bit suss tho as they're doing it very quickly. If you go for the water based stuff it is a compromise on finish. If you roll your doors lay the paint off with a brush as you go. Do a third of the door lay off with brush, roll another third overlapped slightly, lay off with brush and repeat for final section

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back