Paint Flaking From Bathroom Ceiling With A Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I recently attended a property which has a shower room built into a loft and which was suffering from around 80% of the ceiling paint flaking away.

The shower room does have an extractor and two good sized windows for ventilation.

The ceiling plaster was exposed and the thin flaky layer of paint scrapped off effortlessly.

I then added a mist coat and when once dry, I applied a box standard wickes ceiling paint.

I was called back 4 months later and the situation is now SO much worse. There are large chunks of paint simply hanging from the ceiling and it resembles Freddy Crugers house.

What I hadn’t noticed during my original visit, is that the roof to the shower room (which is a loft conversion), is flat with nothing above it...which makes me wonder wear the extractor fan is putting its extraction.

Any thoughts please good people.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to see a duct outside for the fan.

Is the ceiling surface a flat, skimmed finish?

Hi There,

Yes its a flat skimmed roof.

Theres no ducting visible on the roof from outside.

Its also worth mentioning there is dense mould along the seals in the shower cubical itself, but NO signs of mould on the ceiling or the walls!

To me, it almost looks from outside that when it rains, the rain water is likely to sit on the roof which is literally a few inches above the bathroom ceiling.

There is guttering around the roof but there is no visible slope, and its the area of this square floot roof that has paint pealing beneath it in the shower room.

Thanks for the response by the way, I appreciate it

Sponsored Links
You know I get a horrible feeling - as you might have suspected - the fan goes nowhere :idea: so it`s filling behind the plasterboard with damp air which is then coming down behind your paint and pushing it off :eek: - it`s permeating the plasterboard and skim as vapour - and yet it`s still intact For the Time being :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back