Canon lenses and accessories

I

imamartian

anyone recommend great (reasonably priced) lenses, flash units, bags, spare batteries etc etc for a canon camera? just bought an EOS 60D

Sponsored Links
I got some decent compatible batteries from 7dayshop for my 40D.
Also used to be decent prices for flashes, bags etc.

I bought when Canon was doing their cashback promotion which is quite regular (you prob just missed it over xmas).

I bought the 70-300 IS lens from there too.

A v.good lens thats cheap is the 50mm Canon 1.8 - think I got mine from amazon for about 80 quid - no IS tho.

Tamron and Sigma lenses supposed to be just as good and also cheaper than the Canon equivs.

If you are getting into it, I'd recommend getting the best glass you can afford at the time - go 2.8 aperture as there is a world of difference - All depends what you wanna pay though.

Have fun with your kit :)

Don't know about Canon but my Pentax still uses the same mount today as they did back in 1970's. The electronic control has been upgraded but all the old lenses still fit.
One has to decide if you want to pay 100's of pounds for an electronic lens able to auto focus and auto set aperture or 30 odd pound for an old lens which needs manual settings but optically just as good.
For the motor circuit one needs the automation and old lens are no good but I have found the f2 28mm lens I bought for my Richo back in 1980 works A1 inside buildings and gives me that extra light needed in buildings even though I always use it wide open and no auto focus.
Flash gun the same. Vivatar 3500 again bought in 1980 still works with my new D-SLR and is useful when using a long lens as it has a zoom on the flash.
However the old flash does not show it is charged in view finder now there is an extra pin and the lenses need me to use the two stop over exposure in order to stop them down two stops.
The lack of the prism and split screen focus aid also means without the auto focus one does from time to time get focus wrong.
I sent to Hong Kong for cheap remote both wireless and wired plus spare battery the wireless remote works A1 but the wired I find the 3.5mm jack can get a bad connection and both take photos when I don't want to and fail to work when it should. However it is the only way to take 1/2 hour time exposures.
Reversing rings still work with old lenses and cheap close up lenses work well but the reversing ring will not work with the new electronic lens as the lens aperture can't be set once reversed.
The old slide copier works but will not capture the whole of the slide as CCD is not full size.
Pop filters and masks are now redundant as all done in software but graduated filter still used to increase dynamic range for shots with bright sky.
Old polarising filter is useless as linear and for electronics to work it needs a circular polarising filter. However in manual mode one can still use it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back