Causes of deterioration of underfelt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look at the attached pics of deterioration of a tar building paper underfelt, is this typical of the age process of the product ? I believe it could be up to 50 years old ? Concrete interlocking Lindum tiles over, I suspect due to poor ventilation, condensation etc.
Could any of you knowledgeable fellows shed anymore light on the possible causes of the problem. Thanks
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I don't think condensation will cause this

Generally the frayed edges are due to the felt detaching from the rafter and being blown about over time, or due to birds or rodents

The location of that felt looks like it is the end of the layer up against a chimney or wall, so would be prone to being ripped from the end rafter (normal expansion/contraction or wind forces) and being allowed to dangle in the loft

If any slight bit of light is getting through, that will degrade the felt too

Cheers for the reply Woody.
It has deteriorated elsewhere within the roof too, I know UV could cause this but normally only a problem at the gutter line. Tile covering is sand faced Lindums, could they become porous enough after 50 years to influence this ?

I have only seen a few roofs with tarred building paper and all were 50+ years old and all were frayed or perished.

Sponsored Links
As above
Your looking at simple building paper not a proper roof underlay.
On occasion it was used (cheap), and in virtually every case it ends up shredded as is this .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back