Bathroom extractor fan faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My extractor fan in the in bathroom won't come on when the cord is pulled. It usually comes on same time as the light does. So I am thinking the fan must be faulty.

Is there anything I should check first before replacing it or anything I could test on the fan itself? And is the wiring very technical or is it live neutral and earth?

It's a standard extractor fan nothing expensive about it.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Does it "run on" after the light is switched off, if so there is going to be a switched line too.

Is there an isolation switch for it, perhaps someone has turned it off?

The first thing to check is that there is voltage at the fan with a multi meter (not a neon screwdriver or volt stick)

powe goes to the fan but it's not running.

so basically the fan's had it - could i double check by doing a resistance reading of the windings?

how do they work in general? are they wired in series with the ligthing in the room or do they have a double pole dsirect to them?

Sponsored Links
Not worth wasting time on, if there is power there then the fan is duff. It will be wired in parallel, wether or not there is an isolator is down to you to find out as I am not there :p Just get the same fan and it will be a simple straight swap. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back