Can cavity wall insulation be improved?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our house was built around 18 years ago and has cavity walls filled with small polystyrene balls for insulation.

For some reason, the outside walls are really cold to touch and the rooms don't seem to hold the heat very well - our previous house was approx 20 years old with the same type of cavity insulation, but that seemed to hold the heat much better.

I suspect that there is insufficient insulation installed within the cavity and am wondering if there is any way I can improve it. Is it feasible to have the cavities injected with the expanding foam - or would this be a problem with the current set-up?

By the way - I have triple layers of 150mm loft insulation, so I know the loft is insulated adequately.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Feeling cold to the touch is not really a good indication of how well the wall insulation is working - different plaster, blocks, property orientation, etc

You won't be able to inject the cavities with expanding foam with the beads still in place

The only way to improve would be to insulate the face of the wall

Thanks for the response - somhow I thought that'd be the case - looks like some thick lining paper.... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back