purchase of gas fittings in diy shops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in years gone by I used to work for north thames gas as it was then called, after that I contracted as a service layer for a private co.After I went solo and started installing ch and general plumbing/ building .after several years I decided to give up the gas work completely after hearing of a local monoxide poisoning death and also realising that I could not keep up with the ongoing training that is so important for gas fitters. Therefore ,to get to the point,WHY can ordinary members of the public go into a diy or plumbers merchants and buy any gas fittings and appliances as they choose?Is the gas industry regulated or not? Air con products are restricted ,rightly, is gas considered to be safer to work with,I dont think so how about yous

Sponsored Links
this is an ongoing question, most think that if you take away this option for the unqualified then they will just fit illegal parts from the internet as this can never be stopped online, so i guess it's better that they fit approved and safe parts even if they are illegally fitted.

this is how daft this is went into plumbfix to buy some taps yes a monobloc and was told cant buy without showing gas safe card (left at home on day)but can go to B&q and buy bayonet fitting with gas paste with no check

Resricting the sale of items ect , one should be careful what one wish's for ??

I have sent numerous customers to B&Q ect so as they can view & self purchase gas fires , cookers , hobs ect just because some one purchases a gas appliance does not mean they are self installing ? which I would not condone But

How many in the UK self repair motor vechles ? build kit cars , tinker with there motor cycles ?? ect ect

Sponsored Links
Resricting the sale of items ect , one should be careful what one wish's for ??

I have sent numerous customers to B&Q ect so as they can view & self purchase gas fires , cookers , hobs ect just because some one purchases a gas appliance does not mean they are self installing ? which I would not condone But

How many in the UK self repair motor vechles ? build kit cars , tinker with there motor cycles ?? ect ect

Yea, but cars need an mot "every" 12 months, so shoddy work will be sorted, diy gas work may not get checked at all, bit of a difference, maybe if "all" properties were subject to an mot style check, then illegal gas work may not be such a problem.

WHY can ordinary members of the public go into a diy or plumbers merchants and buy any gas fittings and appliances as they choose?

Because DIY gas work is not illegal in your own house, provided you do it competently.

The HSE do not regard it as a safety issue.

The problem is with incompetent work, which may be illegal, by the trade.

The HSE , probably do regard it as a safety issue , but there is very little they can or could do about it ? even if there was a law change it could not be policed ( maybe ?)

Un reg installers / illegal gas installs , make it a criminal offence for any home owner ect to engage the services of an un reg gas installer , ignorance of the law would be no excuse !

MOT's are only required on cars after 3 years , some countrys in Europe it is a legal requirement to have all flued gas appliances checked anually !

I thought annual gas safety checks are required in the case of rented properties and public buildings etc, with the intention of protecting innocent members of the public from dangerous installations, but leaving a householder free to carry out work on installations in his own property.

That makes it exactly analogous with an MoT test on a vehicle, bearing in mind that MoT tests are only required on vehicles that are used on public roads. What you choose to do in your own back yard, or anyone else's back yard (with the landowner's consent), is up to you. Think about the vehicles at a motor racing circuit.

The DIY sheds get over the problem by warnings on boxes/packaging that states "this appliance must be installed by a registered person" etc. I've bought loads of fittings and have never been asked the question.Same goes for electrical gear,consumer units/cable/sockets etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back