Hob gas pipe behind electric oven- safe or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just done up the kitchen and I've got an electric oven underneath a gas hob. The gas pipe to the hob runs from the floor to the hob directly behind the oven about 3 cm off the wall. There's not alot of space back there and I presume the back of the oven is touching the gas pipe to some extent. Is this safe? A gas safe guy installed the pipe and didn't voice any concerns but it's an Ikea kitchen so not much in the way of space behind the units. Any views? I presume this a common problem therefore prob ok- I used to have a gas cooker so must have been lots of hot gas pipes in there.

Cheers!

Ben

Sponsored Links
You have to ask,does the part of the oven that touches the pipe get hot anyway.Are you sure about the fact that it is touching? I assume the supply is copper?Personally I don't think there's a problem,but having said that I can't see the install.

Yeah it's a copper pipe. It prob gets hot but not hot enough that it can't be packed fluchly in an MDF cabinet. The other issue with it touching is I don't want to break the seal- are these gas pipes quite tough to a bit of leaning? I might be just being paranoid bout all this- as I said builder and gas fitter didn't mention any potential issues. Thanks for your help.

Ben

most gas pipes run behind electric ovens so shouldn't be an issue if was fitted by gas safe engineer but as said before without actually seing install never can say

Sponsored Links
fitted properly it will not be a prob, but all the pipes i have fitted dont get pushed by the oven as i have positioned them properly, measure from the edge of the oven that touches the front of the unit to the back of the oven then measure from the same place to the pipe to see if there is clearance, also look at the back of the oven to see if anything is shaped to hit the pipe, if the pipe is off the wall it would seem lazy, get it done right i would say

Interesting... It was only done the other day and cost me 100 quid but I didn't realise there'd be an issue so didn't stress we needed it flush to the wall. It has a kink at the top to bring the supply out to the hob connecter- if there was a longer kink then the rest of the pipe could in theory run flush to the wall whereas now it sort of leans towards the hob connecter. Do they do these 'kinks' in different sizes? Would that be a big job to stick a bigger kink on top? Can you attach the pipe to the wall? Also what's the bigger issue- the heat or the constant pushing against the pipe?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge!

Cheers

The "kink" as you call it is an offset which is bent in a machine by the gas guy. He has obviously mismeasured the size required and because it is behind the unit has left it,

in the early days of doing these i did fit a pipe which was too near the front of the unit but looked ok, got a call from the spark the next day to say the oven wouldnt go in, :oops: so i had to go back and alter it, have checked every one since to make sure i didnt do it again, so maybe the gas guy has made a simple error.

Give him a bell and suggest you would be a lot happier with the pipe closer to the wall, if he is a tradesman he will come back,

If he is a cowboy he wont

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back