Consumer unit tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several times a month the RCCB will trip. Most of the time between 6.00 and 7.00pm in the week but sometimes midmorning of a weekend. There is nothing at all in my flat that could account for the timing if these trips.
Has anyone any idea as to what could be causing this?

regards Bishka

Sponsored Links
What I advise customers with this type of fault is not music to the ears, but it often works. However, it assumes a faulty appliance is to blame, which may not be the case with you.

I tell them to unplug or switch off all but the essential equipment. Leave CHB and fridges/ freezers and BA systems switched on.

EVERYTHING else, unplug or switch off WHEN NOT IN USE.

Then you know that if the RCD trips, it has to be one of the items attached to the fixed wiring.

It narrows things down a bit.

Sponsored Links
Firstly: Thanks to everyone who replied.
Sorry I did not reply sooner but I have been pre-occupied.

I have started to keep things unplugged and during the time slots when tripping is most likely I have tried very hard not to use anything at all!! Sofar the power has not tripped but, it is too early to tell why.

I can't see it being a rat, squirrel or any other animal because the power trips with-in given time slots; mainly between 6.00 to 7.00PM but also mid-morning. This would indicate to me that something is being switched on, either manually or if a timer than inconjunction with a thermostat or other switch.

I like the idea of a 20KW kiln, made me smile! Though round these parts it is more likely to be a 20KW music system (LOL). But I do wonder if the wiring to the block of flats is abit dodgy because I had to get a mains filter for my sound system owing to loud pops and clicks over the speakers which were not being caused by anything in my flat!

I was told by the council electrician that it had to be something in my flat, that the RCB could not be triggered by an external source. I do not entierly believe this but if anyone knows definitly one way or the other then, please let me know.

Anyway. thanks again for the replies.

Kind regards Bishka

There are dozens (LITERALLY) of external causes of rcd tripping, nearly all involve a neutral fault of some kind, if this is definitely at fairly 'preset' times (and you've eliminated your heating)I would think almost certainly a small local industrial unit is the cause by the times you mention.

There are dozens (LITERALLY) of external causes of rcd tripping, nearly all involve a neutral fault of some kind, if this is definitely at fairly 'preset' times (and you've eliminated your heating)I would think almost certainly a small local industrial unit is the cause by the times you mention.

Thanks for the diffinative answer! Maybe the council electrician who told me it could not happen, just wanted to go home!

Anyway thanks for the reply and to everyone who chipped in.

Regards Bishka

Hmmm many years ago in early 16th edition days (I think. it could have been in 15th edition days) we had a job where a customer was getting nuisance tripping of a 100mA RCD in his jacuzzi room!

This occurred every time the grass at the church next door was cut!!

We checked all the connections, fitted additional PME earth electrodes, sorted out the extension leads being used with the electric lawnmower.
It made no difference.

In the end we replaced the RCD as a last ditch cure - it worked no more tripping!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back