toilets lost its syphon!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to flush toilet last night and there was very little respose from it. A trickle got through. Thought it was me being limp wristed, so I gave it a good yank and still nothing. Anyway, I managed to get it to flush by repeatedly pumping the handle. Clearly something is wrong. What is likely to be the problem? It leaves a good 6 inch of water in the bottom too.

Will I need a new syphon unit? Its close coupled, so will I need to take the cistern off? If so, I will call on the services of a plumber! And while I'm at it I will replace the fill valve with a silent one.

Only today I realised that the fill valve points directly at the business end of the syphon, where the handle connects. Would this have affected it? I have repositioned it.

Sponsored Links
If your loo has the traditional flushing syphon then the thin polythene diaphragm has split in the bottom.
Sometimes these diaphragms are available but its easier just to fit a new syphon. Either way, the cistern needs to come off the pan and a new doughnut washer is needed for reassembly.
John :)

Turn off water supply to toilet (should be an isolation valve on pipework)
If not then turn off mains and if you have a storage tank in loft drain that as well.
Don't touch any gate valves as they won't work.
Disconnect pipework to cistern and overflow (if fitted)
Undo 2 wing nuts under cistern (good luck with them)
Or cut them off
Undo any fixing to wall
Lift off cistern and empty into bath/sink.
Remove faulty syphon and fit 3 PART SYPHON
Fit new pan connector kit
Remove float valve and fit new
Supply and fit new isolation valve if needed.
Fit cistern to toilet
Re-connect water supply and over flow if needed or blank off
Screw back to wall
Turn on water and test.

Andy

Sponsored Links
OK I'm going to attempt this, in the spirit of the forum! What parts do I need besides the syphon unit (mine has an internal overflow which I will make sure to get, as the cistern has no overflow).

If I renew the fill valve while I'm at it, what measurement will be incoming water be?

My toilet has no isolator and nowhere to fit one (theres about an inch between the tiled box and the cistern!)

Anything to watch out for?

OK I'm going to attempt this, in the spirit of the forum! What parts do I need besides the syphon unit (mine has an internal overflow which I will make sure to get, as the cistern has no overflow).

If I renew the fill valve while I'm at it, what measurement will be incoming water be?

My toilet has no isolator and nowhere to fit one (theres about an inch between the tiled box and the cistern!)

Anything to watch out for?

http://www.plumblineltd.co.uk/3 PART SYPHON OBLONG 9 1-2inch

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81274/Plumbing/Toilet-Fittings/Fluidmaster-Pro-Bottom-Entry-Fill-Valve

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17405/Plumbing/Macerators-and-Pan-Connectors/Comap-Close-Coupling-Kit

Above you have the parts you need, you might need a 8" syphon and not 9 1/2.

The float valve can be adjusted to high or low pressure.

Forget the isolation valve unless you can show us a picture of your pipework

Andy

Mine is definitely 9.5 inch - I measured the distance from the bottom to the blue top.

However, I dont think there's space in the cistern for one of those fancy fill valves with the gubbins on its stem - the syphon is about 1cm from the fill valve's stem. So without moving the incoming water to the other side which would give possibility for an isolator!), I think I'll have to stick to something like an armitage filler - with a long stem and a small float at the top.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75136/Plumbing/Toilet-Fittings/Armitage-Shanks-Fill-Valve

This any good? Or should I stick to the old style valve?

And truthfully, I dont know whether the toilet is fed from the tank or the mains! And I've never turned off the stopcock either. Am I a bad person? :LOL: I've only lived here 8 months!

You can use a bottom entry Torbeck valve. Best bye both valves Torbeck and old stile and bring back the one you don't need.

As for the water, turn off your mains and see if the toilet stills fills up after of a couple of flushes. Also check by opening your cold bath and basin taps.

Andy

Have you flooded the house yet :oops:

By the time you have finshed researching all what you need to do, work out how the cistern comes off the toilet pan, and they can be a fiddle to remove as the bolts seize up.

It would be more cost effective getting a professional plumber to do the job..

But heres hoping you have fixed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back