Telephone Junction Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wish to split my phone line into three from the master socket and purchased this Junction Box

Sorry if I am being a dunderhead but the box looks confusing. The packaging says 8 way, but I obviously only need 4 way (one wire fron the master socket and the three spurs).

My question is, can I connect the four sets of each coulered telephone wire into any of the slots??

I am a little confused as to why some of the terminals are numbered and not others!!!!

Any help on how to wire it up would be greatly appreciated, there were no instructions with the box...

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I wish to split my phone line into three from the master socket and purchased this Junction Box

Sorry if I am being a dunderhead but the box looks confusing. The packaging says 8 way, but I obviously only need 4 way (one wire fron the master socket and the three spurs).

My question is, can I connect the four sets of each coulered telephone wire into any of the slots??

I am a little confused as to why some of the terminals are numbered and not others!!!!

Any help on how to wire it up would be greatly appreciated, there were no instructions with the box...

It can be done but it is not ideal.........cant the three extensions go back tothe main socket?? but you can put all 4 cables into this as you say make sure the same colours all go into the same numbers and make sure you use a krone tool.

Thanks Johnboy42

I did not want to tap into the BT Box with the other wires, as I did not think you are alowed to interfere with their equipment???

The Junction box has two strips with eight terminals in each, why is four of the eight in each strip numbered and not the others??

I aassume I can use any of the 16 slots for the wires???

You have 8 "ways" one to the left and one to the right of the number.
They are connected together. So you can join 8 cores to 8 cores. Hence 8way on the packaging.

This makes 4 pairs. Hence numbers 1 , 2, 3 , 4.

Any clearer?

Sponsored Links
Ah I see,

A bit clearer now ...thanks Alarm

So as I have four telephone cables coming in and have to connect four of the six wires in the cable, I can wire it as follows;

Blue & White in the four slots around no 1
Orange & White in the four slots around no 2
White & Orange in the four slots around no 3
White and Blue in the four slots around no 4

????

Erm not really what you have is a basic straight through conector, think of it as an 8 way electrical screw type block but punch down intead of screw.
In other words what you connect on the left you get on the right.
With punchdown it is recommended that 2 wires per terminal is max (using the correct tool dont be tempted to use a screwdriver as this will just widen the gap and lead to a bad connection, any diy store should stock a cheapy plastic one)
The amount of wires connected could have a serious detrimental effect on your broadband connection.

Erm not really what you have is a basic straight through conector, think of it as an 8 way electrical screw type block but punch down intead of screw.

Yes but it also appears to have provision for disconnect of the pairs. The pins in the centre may require to have connecting links installed.

The amount of wires connected could have a serious detrimental effect on your broadband connection.

That is true and the reduction in speed is greates in "star" wiring where the wire branches out in several directions from one point. Star wiring will not affect phones but it will reduce broadband speed.

If you have broadband then consider the use of a NTE5 filtered face plate

http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/adsl-around-the-home.pdf

to separate phone signals from ADSL ( broadband ) signals. Then you can wire your phones any way you like without affecting your broadband speed.

In other words what you connect on the left you get on the right.
With punchdown it is recommended that 2 wires per terminal is max (using the correct tool dont be tempted to use a screwdriver as this will just widen the gap and lead to a bad connection, any diy store should stock a cheapy plastic one)

Many thanks for your advice I have only the two wires in each terminal and thet were installed with the proper tool

It is all up and running fine

Yes but it also appears to have provision for disconnect of the pairs. The pins in the centre may require to have connecting links installed.

That is true and the reduction in speed is greates in "star" wiring where the wire branches out in several directions from one point. Star wiring will not affect phones but it will reduce broadband speed.

If you have broadband then consider the use of a NTE5 filtered face plate

http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/adsl-around-the-home.pdf

to separate phone signals from ADSL ( broadband ) signals. Then you can wire your phones any way you like without affecting your broadband speed.

Thank you for the excellent advice
Think the above is a good idea as my broadband is a little slow!!!

I assume the filtered faceplate should go onto the BT Box in the loft, where it enters the house and before where my phone line splits at the new junction box???

Yes the filtered front plate goes on the front of the BT master socket.

One option if the BT master socket ( also known as an NTE 5 )is in an inconvenient place is to take a single pair ( wires 2 and 5 ) from the BT master socket to where the router will be. There fit an NTE5 with a filtered face plate and connect the pair from the BT master socket to the incoming terminals on the back of your new NTE 5 and treat this as the master socket.

Yes the filtered front plate goes on the front of the BT master socket.

One option if the BT master socket ( also known as an NTE 5 )is in an inconvenient place is to take a single pair ( wires 2 and 5 ) from the BT master socket to where the router will be. There fit an NTE5 with a filtered face plate and connect the pair from the BT master socket to the incoming terminals on the back of your new NTE 5 and treat this as the master socket.

It's ok, the master socket is in the loft, but is easily acessible...

Many thanks once again for your help.

Just had a thought....

If the filtered faceplate is installed to the BT Mater Box in the loft, does that mean that the Broadband Router need to be connected to that socket.

or can it still be connected to any of the extension sockets down in the house???

I ask, because I would not want to install the router in the loft

If the filtered faceplate is installed to the BT Mater Box in the loft, does that mean that the Broadband Router need to be connected to that socket.

For some type of filtered front plate yes but there are ones that provide terminals for phone wiring with no ADSL signal and separate terminals for the wiring to the ADSL modem ( Router ) located elsewhere.

or can it still be connected to any of the extension sockets down in the house???
No because the ADSL signal has been removed from the telephone wiring.

I ask, because I would not want to install the router in the loft

Which is why I suggested buying your own NTE5 and filtered face plate and feeding that by an un-filtered pair from the BT master socket in the loft. Your NTE 5 is located where the router is located.

Hi again, and thank you for your continued helpful advice

My filtered faceplate arrived today and it does have the separate terminals for the wiring to the ADSL modem ( Router ) located elsewhere.

These connections are labled A and B

This is the way I propose to overcome my problem, by running the wire from the Filtered Faceplate in the loft to a new modem socket.

Two questions,

The instructions with the faceplate advise using Cat5e twisted pair cable, can you advise what exactly this is and where I would acquire it?

Also should the socket where I am going to connect the modem, be RJ11 or RJ45, as the instruction suggest both

Hi Again,

Re my two questions,

I have done some research on the twisted cable. It appears to have four sets of two twisted wire. Also I now understand that the socket I am going to connect it to will be an RJ11.

Could anyone give me some helpful info on the connections??

Obviously I can only use two of the four pairs at the filtered faceplate end in A and B, inserting them with the push down tool. Which colours should I use ??

At the RJ11 end, which of the slots do you connect the two twisted cables to ??

Many thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back