Architect fees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm new on here... we are hoping to remodel our 1958 bungalow by reducing the footprint, taking off the roof, raising roofline 5 ish foot and putting 5 beds in 2nd floor. Nive new roof , new windows etc. About £150k budget. We have had a few architects round, all differing prices and there is one that we would like to use but they seem much more expensive than the others. Got a few builders whosae work we know that we will consider and us/builder will be project managing it so just need architect to design us a fab house and do pp and building regs etc. We have bought the 'worst house on the best street' and need vision to make it a thing of beauty. In possibly contescious area on side on nat. trust land etc. 1 neighbour in full support other not talked to them yet. Would be a very desirable project for an architect in size and location. What is a realistic fee all in for an architect up to end of building regs and can we barterrr them down? Any advice gratefully recieved.....thanks a lot! :LOL: [/code]

Sponsored Links
An Architect will charge about 12% of the project cost

A non-Architect will do it for much less

Sometimes a technician will do something unoriginal and boring whereas sometimes an architect will do something flash, then again the opposite can be true, you pays your money and takes your chances. Have a look at some of their work on your local planning register.

This comes down to your particular situation. An architect is only really worth the extra money where there is reasonable scope in the design. If the design opportunities are there an architect might add sufficient value to offset the extra cost. Providing of course they don't get completely carried away and come up with something that costs a fortune to build and ends up so way out nobody would buy it.

In fact it's usually the case that design and materials are fairly closely restricted by local planning constraints. If that does prove to be so then a decent surveyor will prodcue something very similar to your architect for half the cost. I would think that's going to amount to something in the order of 10k difference, which is not an insignificant sum to end up at the same place.

Sponsored Links
Hello, I am a RIBA chartered Architect and hope I can clarify a bit on this.

Firstly, your home is the biggest investment you will ever make and while you don't want to pay more than you have to you also don't want to be 'penny wise pound foolish' in getting the best team together for your project and getting the right results.

Quite simply the best way to save money, stress and problems is to get the design thoroughly thought out with a professional who will work closely with you ask the right questions and produce a great design and detailed construction drawings/ specification removing any ambiguity with the builder who will know exactly what they are pricing. Ideally, your architect will be able to administrate the contract on site and will stop dishonest 'extras' creeping in which someone inexperienced with building work may not necessarily spot. They will also spot if the builder has cut corners and get the work redone.

A RIBA Architect with a good local reputation will give you the best results and use their creative flair to see the best layouts for your house. They will actually save you money in the long run with a well thought out design. They will have knowledge about matters that technicians won't necessarily have on party wall issues etc... and will put forward the best case with the council with some attractive drawings and a well argued design statement.

They will also be able to provide the builder with detailed information (I always give builders a thick bundle of information and go through it with them on site picking up queries prior to pricing!). This means there's no "Oh you never actually said we'd need to use joist hangars" or other such nonsense which could be added as an extra by unscrupulous builders (and I have worked with a couple of these.).

I recommend buying the book 'Architect your home' by Hugo Tugman for an accessible explanation of the process and some inspirational ideas.

12% of the construction value is about right for full services by a RIBA architect but it's a bit like using a good accountant - they save you money with their expertise!

At very least I would recommend using an MCIAT technician and reference check your potential builder carefully. There are plently of plan drawing services out there that will claim to produce plans for next to nothing but as with everything in life you get what you pay for.

Best of luck with your project!! J

Blah blah blah
Yes that's great but (seeing as I have and currently work for commercial architects for 20 odd years) that's all well and good but really for a domestic extension 99% of the time employing a decent technician is all that is required, there is no need to employ an architect who will likely charge the earth, pack out the tender package with a load of unnecessary rubbish and take months to do it fitting it in between the proper jobs in the office. I see it all the time its an absolute joke and disgusts me.

The posts were from a year ago so the project is probably finished
Good post anyway though ;)

Typical Architect ... always late with the information. LOL :p :p

Let the sport begin
medievalsmile.gif

Thanks anyhow for reading my post chaps - I wanted to put the case forward a bit for us architects in a thread that people researching into a domestic extension might read :!:

I will risk getting flamed here and say that using a qualified technician is great as long as it is a straightforward project and the client knows exactly what they want / no onerous planning issues in that area.

I suppose my main bug is with unqualified 'plan drafters' who can cause the clients loads of problems further down the line with planning refused or confusion and expense on site because the builder didn't have correct info. The client is left with expensive delays and zero recourse with the draftsperson to put things right because they don't belong to any sort of professional body or have to follow any particular code of conduct.

Thanks anyhow for reading my post chaps - I wanted to put the case forward a bit for us architects in a thread that people researching into a domestic extension might read :!:

I will risk getting flamed here and say that using a qualified technician is great as long as it is a straightforward project and the client knows exactly what they want / no onerous planning issues in that area.
Yeah, I think you're just trying to wind up FMT :p

I suppose my main bug is with unqualified 'plan drafters'

Thanks for coming back with a second post! Many don't

Anyway with regards to "unqualified", you can say that about any profession. A "plan drafter" does not imply a bad service just because he or she is not a 'proper' Architect

I've posted previously about this, but I know Architects who have not got a clue about planning or building regs, and I also know Architects who do a nice sketch design and talk a good one, but then pass the work to a technician in the office to draw up

The customer assumes that the higher price of instructing an Architect means some better service, but it all depends on the scale and design of the proposed job as to whether it really is better value

I suppose my main bug is with unqualified 'plan drafters' who can cause the clients loads of problems further down the line with planning refused or confusion and expense on site because the builder didn't have correct info. The client is left with expensive delays and zero recourse with the draftsperson to put things right because they don't belong to any sort of professional body or have to follow any particular code of conduct.
Whilst as in every profession there is good and bad, not only are there many well qualified technicians out there who are familiar with the onerous lengths that sometimes have to be gone to in order to achieve a successful application but have an excellent knowledge of their local planners requirements and local plan too.

Furthermore the times I've had to sort out some Bozo architects rubbish planning application that looks pretty yet doesn't comply with any Building Regs is countless. I think architects spend 7 years learning how to be arrogant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back