Am I fully protected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read several articles/posts about people being killed by faulty kichen appliances. My kitchen will be demolished in the next 18 months and a new extension built. In the interim I have fitted those plug-in combined 13 amp plug/RCD units into every socket (the ones from B&Q).
Is this sufficient? What else could I do? The kitchen is currently wired on the ground-floor main with no RCD at the CU. All will be remedied with the new extension, of course.

Sponsored Links
that sounds ok as a temporary measure, some might say a little OTT perhaps.

Maybe you should consult an electrician to gather some ideas of how to plan you new kitchen, whilst being mindful of electrical requirements

I wouldn't worry unduly, as long as you arnt doing daft things that you shouldnt be doing anyway like filling the kettle with it plugged in, sticking forks in toasters to retrive lost bread, using appliances in poor condition, etc.

Ensure that you do use your plug in RCDs for outside stuff though.

If you have the plug in RCD units now it makes sense to use them.

Theres a lot of kitchens out there without RCD protection*, and as long as the wiring is in an otherwise good condition and you have a sensible attitude to electrical safety then it shouldn't pose any major risks.

*And a good number of them may have been installed as recently as 2007 in commericial environments if the designer decided not to require it...

You might be able to fit an RCBO to replace the RCD in the consumer unit for that circuit, provided it's recent enough. That would be much easier than individual RCD adaptors on each socket. You can also get double sockets with an RCD built in, again might be easier/neater.

Sponsored Links
Is this sufficient? What else could I do? The kitchen is currently wired on the ground-floor main with no RCD at the CU. All will be remedied with the new extension, of course.

I'd suggest

PWG%20model_0011S.jpg

Or you could simply ask that a electrical contractor provides a new board with the current standard protection on it.

It's likely that you will need parts of the property updated and new circuits for the extension. So think ahead, get the new board in and make sure it has space to accomodate the future additions when the extension is done.
You get to have a system that is safe now, and sorting now means less hassle later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back