Fitting a NTE5 master socket direct to the Drop wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there im in need of some help
Currently the drop wire for my BT line enters my house in my sons bed room which connects to a junction box from that junction box is a very loooooong tin extension cable that runs the length of my house to the downstairs hallway beside my electrical cupboard.
BT are refusing to install a master socket for me even though their engineers have identified that i have not got a master and because of this my Broadband is being affected.
i would be grateful of any advise on how i could fit this socket my self and what sort od cable i might need.
Thanks for looking

PS i have taking a pic of the junction box in question
the thick cable on the rite is the drop cable were it enters the room from out side[/img]

Sponsored Links
very surprised that Bt will not fit an NTE5 but it is easy to do yourself although strictly speaking illegal(disclaimer over)

If you do do it youself I would consider a filtered faceplate like this

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=105

fiited to this

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=114

the NTE 5 has two large terminals for the incoming drop wire and the face plate has terminals for extension wiring for both phone sockets and for broadband

I have used an ADSL nation filter plate for years and can recommend them

thats good news thanks..
So just to confirm the two copper wires from outside simply connect into the two terminals at the back of the standard NTE5?
Also is the pre-filtered socket any hard or different to install?
For talk sake if i wanted to put the NTE5 dowstairs how would i go about extending the cable that enters the house in the bedroom as pictured in my 1st post

answer to q1 yes

answer to q2 the filter plate replaces the front part of the NTE5

answer to q3 simply run a length of telephone cable from the old junction box to the new NTE5 and connect the old drop wire via the new cable to the big terminals on the back of the NTE5

Sponsored Links
For talk sake if i wanted to put the NTE5 dowstairs how would i go about extending the cable that enters the house in the bedroom as pictured in my 1st post

Putting your new NTE5 downstairs is the best option for you. Put it where the modem / router is located

Use the existing BT cable if it goes to the place you want the NTE 5 or use new BT type indoor cable from the junction box in your picture down to the new NTE 5

ADSL nation are not the only suppliers. I prefer Solwise

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/adsl-around-the-home.pdf

dude you are a legend :D

One more thing though lol if i may ask
Looking on the sites you gave me i cant seem to find the socket that BT installed on the end of the extension as i have BT infinity.

im not sure weather its just a pre-filtered socket they put on inplace of the old standard socket which didnt have a removeable face plate, it looks like a standard NTE5 with a pre-filtered part on top of it,
ive attached a Pic so you know what im talking about lol
[/img]
If you look at the bottom of the socket you will see were the extension cable enters which runs from the junction box on my 1st pic

For real, the last thing i want to do is make matters worse :confused: if i we're to take that socket off and connect it to the drop wire in the bed room would that cause any issues at all as i was under the impression that my BB speeds were being affected because the socket that BT fitted is on a very very long tin extension cable that comes from that junction box and by moving it on to a shorter and better quality cable would improve my BB connection?

Shorter wire is better, however unless the cable from that junction box to the socket is damaged or the wrong type, don't expect massive improvements.

Moving the master socket closer to the incoming line shuoldn't make anything worse.

What are the connections like on the back of that socket you have? is it just two connections for the incoming line or is it something else?

To me it looks like the dropwire is half the issue- from the first pic it looks like the old grey type.

what speeds are you getting from your infinity?

thanks for all your replys folks.
To answer a few of your questions, Speed im getting is 18Meg DL and 1.6 UL which is really poor for my area i.e my brother lives on the next street and connected to the same exchange and telegraph pole for that matter and gets 38Meg a 7meg Up

The extesnion cable from the junction looks in pretty bad condition as it hangs out in places on its way to the socket and it has sharp bends in places and also some of the white shielding has came off leaving the coloured wires inside exposed.

from what i know all that connects into the back of the open reach socket are the same two wires from the extension cable that come out of the junction box.

again thank you all for your help

charlie,

It may have been an extension cable originally, but if that cable runs from the terminal box (where the dropwire is) to the back of the NTE, then it is classed as monopoly internal wiring, maintained by your service provider.
If you refer to it as an extension when on the phone to BT etc. they are bound to start quoting prices for charges.

If you connected the dropwire directly to the back of the NTE and plugged the filter plate and infinity kit in, then test what speed you are getting, you would have a better idea of whether that cable is the problem.

Sound like it is bad. Does it run outside at all? under any carpets?

thanks for all your replys folks.
To answer a few of your questions, Speed im getting is 18Meg DL and 1.6 UL which is really poor for my area i.e my brother lives on the next street and connected to the same exchange and telegraph pole for that matter and gets 38Meg a 7meg Up

The extesnion cable from the junction looks in pretty bad condition as it hangs out in places on its way to the socket and it has sharp bends in places and also some of the white shielding has came off leaving the coloured wires inside exposed.

from what i know all that connects into the back of the open reach socket are the same two wires from the extension cable that come out of the junction box.

If you think 18 meg and 1.6 are bad try living in the sticks. I struggle to get 3Meg download

again thank you all for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back