TV-FM-DAB Aerial Triplexer Question

THX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hope I'm in the right group for aerials.

What I hope is a very simple question to answer, so apologies if this question is obvious.

I’m moving into a new build house where every room has been fitted with an aerial socket. I want to get maximum flexibility from these sockets by being able to plug in any number of different receiving devices e.g. Digital TV, DAB radio, FM receiver/radio…

My question:

If I install a ‘Digital TV Aerial’, DAB Aerial and an FM Aerial on the same pole and feed all three of their separate leads into a 'TV-FM-DAB Triplexer' will each single socket in the house be able to provide all three of these transmission types thus allowing me to plug in any type of device into any aerial socket? (see picture below)

Help and advice on this will be very appreciated.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Be careful with filters in sockets. Although you can combine and separate Satellite, TV, DAB, and VHF radio the units will not allow DC to pass. So digi-eye used to change Sky programs remote from box will not work.

As to DAB why it is there? All the radio programs are also on freeview, and satellite so only point would be for use in a car. As yet radios do not seem to be on the market at reasonable price for cars and are not being fitted as standard.

In house I use a free to air satellite box for radio. SCART connection to audio system and far more channels than DAB so to me DAB is like 8 track tapes, Betamax and V2000 although it may have worked better it will in the end it will just die.

Sponsored Links
So, any given socket in the house has available from it DAB, FM or TV all out of one socket. E.g. plug in a TV and it gets the TV signal it needs and just ignores the DAB and FM signal that is also there.
Normally you'd fit sockets like this if you want TV and FM/DAB....

tv-dab-fm-radio-diplex-flush-outlet-plate-321-p.jpg

This way you can have two devices connected.

Further to Chris Frost's post
This is the system we have in our house.
But one thing to take note of:
if you live in a bad signal area like we do You can plug the DAB in the socket and get 100% signal, you can plug the TV in and get 100%
plug both in and the signal strength drops (on both) dramatically.
Luckily for us the only room that this causes a problem with is the living room which has two sockets.

if it is a new build ask them to fit a dual socket as above but ask them to run 2 cables to each socket ( just to run the cable not to terminate them)
that way if it is a problem then all you have to do is buy a bigger DA in the loft and wire it to another socket

I would use an amplifier after the combiner (some amps have limited combine capability too). I'd then feed the individual amplified outputs to each room.

And i'd ensure that the amp is Sky 'magic eye' compatible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back