Anti Gravity Valve - Replacement ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Ideal boiler with 2 circuits, a gravity fed HW circuit and pumped CH circuit.

I am having a problem with 1st floor rads heating up when only HW is switched on. I have eventually located what I think is a anti gravity valve, and having researched found that this sounds like it is faulty and needs replacing.

But, I'm not sure what to replace this with, I have come across a check valve which sounds like it does the same thing, but would like some advice on what I can use as a direct replacement?

I have heard of using a 2 port valve, but would be keen on a cheap and simple fix if its possible?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I get them from City Plumbing. Went to a couple of Plumb Centres for them and they didnt even know what i was tallking about, tried to sell me a rubbish italian nrv for the mains :rolleyes: You'll know its what you want because it will be wide in the body, also the valve will open under very little pressure.
Namsag, are those BES ones decent quality with good flow? The ones i get from City are decent quality, but about 3 times that price.

thanks namsag/mickyg,

micky do you have a part number or name that I can go off to find one at city ?

The other question, do back flow protection devices work the same as 2 port valves, in theory, they open when there is demand, otherwise they stay closed on other circuit ?

cheers

Sponsored Links
The power of the pump opens the valve, wheras gravity won't.

yes, sorry i didn't make it clear what i was asking, the power on a 2 port would open close the valve, I was trying to understand on a check valve it works in a similar fasion, so its closed normally due to gravity effect and is open by the pressure of the pump pumping water through it ?

ask for a full bore non return valve and hopefully they'll know what your after. As I say it should be wide in the body. Cost about £8 from city plumbing.

Hi,

. I have eventually located what I think is a anti gravity valve, and having researched found that this sounds like it is faulty and needs replacing.

Thanks
It just wants tapping with a hammer :idea: Trust me I used to fit them ;) before they became spring loaded - they had to be fitted vertically - that should give you a clue ( unless it`s an even older flap valve - horizontal )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back