DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Door, which side to open

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
emoose

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote

Help me with a domestic issue before we have to deploy UN peace keepers icon_smile.gif
In the boxroom/office the door currently open inwards hinged on the right as in the quality diagram below.

I think this is wrong as it obscures the room and stops you putting anything behind the door.

I want to hinge it on the other side so it still opens inwards but against the wall, giving a better usable space.

This is wrong she says and also "not right".

What does the panel advise?

[/img] icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote

That is the "correct" way. When the door opens, it first passes close to the nearest return wall before you walk through it or poke you head round.

This is so that any draught goes towards the close wall, and if someone opens the door without knocking, you have a moment to adjust your clothing before they can see you. And if it is left slightly open, anyone walking past can't peep in.
 Alert Moderators
emoose

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, it makes sense when you explain it like that.

Would it be such a sin to swap the hinge side though? it would make the room a lot more "usable".

Only issue I can see is with the door banging against the wall, which a door stop should prevent.
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote

dont forget to move the light switch icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
crank39

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote

When at college we were told doors always open into the room, can't remember if we were given a reason why but it always stuck with me and i too have had sometimes heated debates as to why
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote

You mean "into the room" rather than "into the corridor?"

So they don't bash into people walking by.
 Alert Moderators
crank39

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote

No, i meant into the room as opposed to into the room but against a wall if you get me icon_rolleyes.gif
 Alert Moderators
ladylola

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote

Yes I was always taught that a door should be hung as above to "shield" a room when opening giving some degree of privacy to the ocupants.
That said most doors in my house obey this "rule" with the exception of the bathroom door icon_eek.gif a room where privacy would be wanted more than elsewhere. A small box room has the door hung correctly but strangely enough the light switch has been set to accomidate hanging the other way icon_confused.gif
The decision really is yours, if it's more practical then reverse it but as said before you will have to move the light switch.
 Alert Moderators
Aqua

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote

Just to add my two penny worth, the above answers are correct. I was always told a bedroom door opens as in your quality diagram to protect the modesty of someone, if that should be necessary.
However, usually downstairs doors or non bedroom doors are supposed to open the opposite way......or so i was told lol.
In truth i don't suppose it really matters now a days, if it makes it more practicle for you to change the way the door hangs go for it.
Strangely as another poster mentioned, my bathroom door opens 'the wrong way' also, never thought about it before now...
 Alert Moderators
jesteh

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote

On our 1930s house all the doors opened inwards obscuring the room. I have been told by our architect that was the old way - it was to protect privacy of the occupants - in the same way as all light pendants were off centre towards the windows. As we renovated throughout we had a chance to change the doors and we have made is so all the doors open against the wall now. Again architect's 2p - this is the modern way as it draws you inside the room and provides light and open spaces with door neatly out of way.

Everything aside - we changed all 14 doors to use this as it allowed us far better use of space - you can put furniture and beds in space thats otherwise occupied by the swinging door (I suspect this is also why modern houses with small rooms are designed this way). Also, I don't know how you live but we tend to leave doors open most of the time and it does mean open door is neatly out of way.

I'd stick to your guns - you are right icon_cool.gif
 Alert Moderators
emoose

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote

Cheers for all the feedback. I feel fully armed and ready for another "discussion"!
 Alert Moderators
foxhole

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote

You have to remember you are arguing with a woman where logic and common sense count for nought. icon_confused.gif
 Alert Moderators
emoose

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Switched it this weekend, looks loads better and she said so unprompted!
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Windows and Doors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: