Built under gas double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just purchased a built under double gas oven, which has an electric grill, which says it needs to be wired into a 13amp double pole switched fused spur outlet with a contact separation of 3mm at all poles. Is it Ok to use a 13amp plug instead. The old gas cooker (gas grill - not electric) installation instructions suggested either a fused spur or 13amp plug.

Sponsored Links
First of all, Do you have a cooker switch above the worktop and a cooker connection unit behind the cooker that may have supplied an electric cooker in the past?

If so you could replace the cooker connection unit with a fused connection unit - no need for a switch as you can use the cooker switch.

To answer your question: not a good way to do it but I suppose it would be acceptable if you can get to the plug without moving the oven i.e. to pull it out quickly in an emergency.
If the socket you have in mind is behind the oven I would say no - unless of course it is already supplied via a cooker switch.

Also it is better not to have the oven on the same circuit as the kitchen sockets.

Thanks for quick response. No electric cooker switch in kitchen, as was new extension when original gas oven was purchased. Builder fitted double socket behind cooker (for gas hob as well), which original gas oven was plugged into, no problems with socket over last 10 years. Gas oven now needs to be replaced, hence question as to whether it will be safe to use 13amp plug for new oven rather than 13 amp fused unit as suggested in installation instructions.

Sponsored Links
Well - electrically there is no difference between a plug and a switched fused connection unit so that will be alright so - yes.

Not sure why, as it only needs a 13amp supply, it does come with a plug. Perhaps someone else could offer an answer

It's just, as I said, the accessibility issue to switch off in an emergency.

As you state it's been like it for ten years so...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back