Touch Dimmer Installation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys!

I would like to replace what looks to be a single gang light switch with a touch dimmer switch. The single switch has 2 red wires, one connected to L1 and the other to L3, there's also an earth wire but it's not connected to the switch or the back of the mounting box because it's plastic. The dimmer has L, Sw, ~ (with an arrow) and an earth. How do i wire up this thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Connect one of your red wires to L, the other to ~ and earth to earth.

If it doesn't behave properly (although it really shouldn't matter), swap the two red wires over.

Connect one of your red wires to L, the other to ~ and earth to earth.

If it doesn't behave properly (although it really shouldn't matter), swap the two red wires over.

Hi Thanks.
I wired it exaclty the way you advised and it seemed to working at first. But moments later the dimmer dosn't seem to be behaving correctly. Let me try to explain, there's 3 touch buttons on the dimmer switch, one for on/off and the other two that control the brightness of the light. The one used to turn the light to 100% brightness also turns on the dimmer switch on if touched, (i'm not sure if that's normal). The one used to turn down the light was dimming the light gradually, however this no longer seems to be working as it turns the light all the way down and then off. I swapped the red wires, but this didn't mske any difference. I'm not sure what to think at the moment other than maybe the dimmer is faulty or wired up incorrectly.

What do you think, slup?

I really don't know. If it was working and now isn't, it could simply be faulty.

What kind of lamps are you dimming?

Sponsored Links
Hi, it's just 1 GE halogen light bulb (45w) which is dimmable. The dimmer switch is rated 60-400w. [/code]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back