Old Central heating system not circulating properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been repairing my heating after some frozen pipes and can't seem to get it to circulate properly.
It's an old Baxi back boiler that provides hot water and runs 7 radiators (open system, 8mm copper pipe from just after boiler),
There was a burst in the pipes feeding the boiler and the pump. I've fixed the pipes and replaced the old Grundfos 15-50 pump with a Grundfos 15-60. I took the opportunity to remove all the radiatiors and flush them out (they were VERY dirty with black sludge) and flushed out all the 8mm pipes too, which were also very dirty. Refilled the system, ran for a few hours and flushed again, refilled and roughly balanced the system.
The problem is that when all the radiators are on, none of them get very hot, even though the boiler is getting up to temp (75C). If I just have either the downstairs 4 radiators on or the upstairs 3, I can get these all 'warm', but not hot. Max inlet temp is 45C. It seems to me that there just isn't enough flow as the the boiler quickly reaches working temp and switches off but the radiators have yet to get warm all over? Each radiator run on it's own gets nice and hot all over, but seems to take a very long time (12-15 mins) to completely fill with hot water, which also points me to low flow rate? I added a desludging agent (X400) and will leave it running for a few days to see if things improve. In the mean time, has anyone got any advice, other than replace the system ;)

Another thought just struck me as I pondered the balanced system only being warm... I may be barking up the wrong tree but could it be that the small bore pipe has a greatly reduced ability to retain heat than 15mm pipe due to the smaller volume of water? Whilst investigating this problem I did notice the 8mm pipes are NOT insulated and the downstairs pipes are run in the foundations! Maybe, at the reduced flow rate available using 8mm in an open system, most of the heat is lost (75C from the boiler - 41C into the radiators) before the water even makes it into the radiators and after passing halfway through the rad ALL the heat has been lost? Maybe if I just insulate, then the low flow rate would no longer be a problem?

If you need any more info, please just ask.

Many thanks,

Dave.

Sponsored Links
A lot of mad ramblings going on there!

X400 takes 4-5 weeks not just a "few days".

Its a pretty mild cleaner and unlikely to be effective on a badly sludged microbore system.

Tony

A lot of mad ramblings going on there!

X400 takes 4-5 weeks not just a "few days".

Its a pretty mild cleaner and unlikely to be effective on a badly sludged microbore system.

Tony

Lol!! :LOL:
Yes you're right about the rambling! I just wanted to get as much info in there as poss to give a good picture of what it is and what's already been done...I may have overdone it a little :)

I know it could take 4 weeks before I'll know if the X400 actually does anything, but as I've actually flushed the system at least 5 times (I left that bit out ;) ) I don't really expect to see much of an improvement, but will see.

Dave

Just a thought!

I've noticed the RPM on the 15-60 is a little lower than the 15-50.
So I'm wondering what speed setting you had before and after the change of pump.

Sponsored Links
The description was fine, no problem with giving lots of information!

Its the second paragraph where you start your own thoughts on how the system does not work that was irrelevant ( apart from being incorrect ).

The experts here will give you all the advice based on their ( individual ) experience.

The 15-60 has a higher head so I expect the reduced RPM is taken into account with the impeller design.

Whilst the head and flow is greater on the 15-60 you will notice the power input is strangely the same!

Tony

Just a thought!

I've noticed the RPM on the 15-60 is a little lower than the 15-50.
So I'm wondering what speed setting you had before and after the change of pump.

The old pump was set at 3 and so I've set the new one to the same.

Today all the radiators are equally 'warm' at about 31C which is pretty poor.

Tony,
Yes I believe one benefit of using 8mm instead of 15mm is for Reduced heat loss, which is exactly the opposite of what I thought I was seeing. I admit I was clutching at straws at this point as I've run out of ideas :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back