new gravel drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My drive is 55m2 and has been dug out ready for sub base. I have a very limited budget so gravel is my choice.

My question is i can't decide wether it's worth spending an extra £700 on the plastic rienforcement that holds the gravel together and stops it moving this is layed on 30mm sand and is 40mm deep which you fill with your choice of gravel, if you don't know what i mean it's called Hebden 40 you can google it. i have seen some photos of the finshed product and it looks really good.

Or should i just put the gravel down loose? If so what type/size is best to use to minimise movement (10mm, 14mm or 20mm?).

i also intend to sell the house in a couple of years.

Any comments very welcome
thank you :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Don't bother because this will really irritate you 12 months down the line when you are digging all the weeds, leaves and compost out of the gravel.

Larger gravel is marginally less bothersome than smaller stuff and gives less.

Limit the depth to about 40mm if possible.

Be prepared for some serious raking if you have a lot of deciduous trees nearby.

Riding a bicycle over it is near impossible.

Apologies for resurrecting an older thread.

Similar situation. Have a driveway of rectangular shape. Total area 20sq metre.

The cowboy who was doing my drive has been sent back on his horse off the job. He had dug around 200mm and layed about 100mm layer of red broken class b engineering bricks and some type 1.

I do not want to use block paving. Is there any aggregrate I can use for long term trouble free driveway. I was thinking of using white pebbles with some limestone slabs on a sharp sand bed.

Would this work or end in tears few years down the line.

youre going to want to find some thick limestone slabs if you'll be running a car over them.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for resurrecting an older thread.

Similar situation. Have a driveway of rectangular shape. Total area 20sq metre.

The cowboy who was doing my drive has been sent back on his horse off the job. He had dug around 200mm and layed about 100mm layer of red broken class b engineering bricks and some type 1.

I do not want to use block paving. Is there any aggregrate I can use for long term trouble free driveway. I was thinking of using white pebbles with some limestone slabs on a sharp sand bed.

Would this work or end in tears few years down the line.

Why did you sack him? What do you think was wrong with what he had done so far?

As per nosealls original advice try and keep the gravel thin, if your using 20mm stone, which is better in my opinion as it stays cleaner, you will need 50mm to get a good coverage.

Try and get your sub base really flat and really well compacted. For a drive you really want a vibrating roller rather than a plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back