temporary flue fix for combi condenser boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is currently being extended, and the boiler flue that was on an external wall is now technically on the new internal wall, although there are no windows or roof on the extension at present so it still vents fine. However the extension roof goes on to today and I need to temporarily vent the boiler to one of the yet to be glazed window openings about 2m away.

Basically is it ok to temporarily extend the flue, with use of flexible aluminium ducting or even a length of soil pipe. This will be a temporary fix of no more than a week, which by when the new extension is fully water tight and glazed, the boiler will then be moved to it's new location in the extension.

The boiler is an Ideal Isar 30he combi condenser.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Absolutely not permitted using that method.You can extend using correct flue kit though.

And just to rub salt into the wound, I'd take advantage of the building work to chuck the Ideal in the builders skip and get a boiler that would be reasonably reliable.... They are not well known for their reliabillity..

Sponsored Links
OK, i'm glad to be giving everyone a giggle, and slightly amused that some people have taken offence. But basically the consensus seems to be no boiler for a week or pay someone £200 to extend the flue for a 5 day fix. Then move the boiler again.

Just to make people clear, The extension is not inhabited, and the windows and doors have yet to be put in, neither has it been knocked through., so essentially it is totally open to the elements, except for a felt and battened roof (not tiled yet).

So just to satisfy my curiosity could someone please explain what would happen if I put a 2m length of aluminium flexible ducting on the end of the flue and fed it towards an unglazed window in the uninhabited and open to air extension.

Thanks again

What could happen is the flue could rot or more likely a bad joint could disperse poc back into the property.not to mention the effect the flue run could have,if your lucky it may just wreck your boiler. I do hope you don't have children or this is another wind up.I'd be having a serious word with the builder for even contemplating laying 1 single brick, but he's probably a mate from the pub :eek:

Advice like that goes against all regulations and please accept that no one will
OK your proposal.Your boiler is ok at the moment but as soon as you enclose your extension it should not be used unless flued correctly.I'm not giggling by the way as I consider this a serious matter.Cheers.

Advice like that goes against all regulations and please accept that no one will
OK your proposal.Your boiler is ok at the moment but as soon as you enclose your extension it should not be used unless flued correctly.I'm not giggling by the way as I consider this a serious matter.Cheers.

Thank you for the reply 45yearsgasman, the only person who was both polite, and who actually bothered to answer the question fully.

All the rest of you need to brush up on your social skills.

Finally my builder did not suggest the temporary fix. It was my cunning plan, and as I wasn't sure if it was safe, so I decided to ask on the forum. Now that I know that it isn't, and why so, I won't do it.

Thanks

All the rest of you need to brush up on your social skills.

I am sorry if you've found some replies rude. However the only publicity this trade gets is when someone is injured or dies as a result of shoddy gas work. What you suggest is like asking if it's ok to drive after 15 pints of lager if it's not far and there's no-one about on the road?'

trouble is, a flue takes in clean air as well as exhausting combustion gasses.

with what you are suggesting, the boiler will have no choice but to breathe in its own exhaust gasses...this wont do it much good..!!

Why not get your builder to arrange for the plumber/heating eng to be there the same day and fit it into it's final position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back