The seal around our boiler flue is crumbling away!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We noticed the other day that the seal around the flue from our oil boiler is very soft and crumbly. I'm not sure what was sued for the seal.... But we are wondering.....:

1. Is it dangerous?
2. What we should do and what to use if it needs to be re-done?
3. Whether I can tackle it myself (moderate DIY skills!) or get a pro in to deal with it....

Would really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Looks like fire cement, as it is around the flue it's probably best to get a rgi to renew.get a service while your at it

Failing flue seals can spill CO into the property. This causes far more fatalities than actual gas explosions.

It's an oil boiler FFS.

Just remove the loose stuff and re- point with fire cement.
As it is a pressure jet burner with a low level discharge, If it was actually leaking you would smell it and see sooty marks

Sponsored Links
Yes but when they do you will smell it long before it kills you.

You would probably choke on the fumes.

I had an oil boiler like this the other week, as I was servicing it anyways I re-pointed the joints with fresh fire cement, I am sure anyone you got in to service the boiler would do the same, especially if you call them and tell them it needs a good service, but the fire cement on the flue joints need a little attention too.

Alex

THe point Terry is trying to make is that combustion of Natural or LP gas produces no or little smell i.e. POC's can leak into room un noticed however all other fossil fuels (Coal & Oil) make quite a distinct odour which is easily detected in the room a well adjusted oil burner makes quite a sulphur smell this is easily noticed so that the user is ware of a problem. Carbon Monoxide has no smell of it's own

Back to the OP - use an old vacuum cleaner to clean out the shot joints and use fire cement (you can get it a B&Q or Wickes etc) to refill the joints smooth off and let dry before re-starting the boiler ;)

Hi guys

Thanks so much for the really helpful replies.

RE: Service. We had one on the boiler just 2 or 3 months ago (maybe a tad longer). And to be honest we have not used it much this winter either. So I think we will wait the full 12 months before getting another service done.

In the meantime, sounds like a plan to use fire cement so I will nip down to B and Q or Wickes and have a stab at doing it myself. SHould it be quite easy for a DIY novice such as myself?

Thanks again

Max

Rake out the old stuff Max, and in with the new - vacuum all of the old stuff away. Look at the instructions for the fire cement - its dead easy to apply and as soon as you light the boiler up it starts to cure.
I also use a special flue pipe tape (aluminised) which I wrap over the joint just to make sure.
John :)
Sorry - echoing BM2's post :rolleyes:
J

Thanks guys.

"a special flue pipe tape (aluminised) which I wrap over the joint just to make sure. "

Do you apply this before/beneath the fire cement...... or after/on top of the fire cement?

Cheers

Max

Hi guys

Thanks so much for the really helpful replies.

to B and Q or Wickes and have a stab at doing it myself. SHould it be quite easy for a DIY novice such as myself?

Thanks again

Max
it`s easy - it can be softened with water I read it as tape over the completed joint - belt and braces job ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back