Have i made the right choice Lafarge GTEC dB Board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am studding out my downstairs hall way which has 2 outside walls with no cavity, so doing a stud wall filled with 90mm celotex and today i brought the plaster board to go over. I am going to have this skimmed.

Looking at the options standard board V DB board there was not much in the price and wanting to make the house quite and warm i opted for the 12.5 mm GTEC db board.

As i was loading up i thought WOW these things are heavy, it was not until i got home that i saw on the back of the board the weight is 33 KG each :eek:

So my questions are

I have a 40x90 stud wall 400mm centres fixed top and bottom and some wall ties, will adding 30kg per 1200x2200 be ok ?

I plan to fix every 200 mm with 36mm plaster board screws is this ok too ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like (sorry about the pun) you have bought acoustic boards.....

It sounds fine to me although I dont think you need acoustic boards on the walls, I dont think you will have much benefit from it.

agreed acoustic boards are not what you are looking for.
for your 2 external non cavity walls which you have already studed out i would place celotex insulation in the voids then waterproof membrane over the top fixed to the studs via staples then vapour check boards (ones with the foil back).
im sure some others on here will have other ways of doin this too. see what you come up with ans good luck

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the replies, I have used what i have brought and find that the screws don’t “pull” in as much as std board.

My i ask what “acoustic boards” are used for ?
i thought they would help keep noise down from room to room :confused:

yes from room to room they will be fine bt you proberly would have been better to use the system i suggested in an earlier post on your external walls.
if you wanted to keep noise down on you party wall you would have got a better result out of it from spreading soundcoat plus on the brickwork first then doin your studwork insulation and soundcheck boards.
but as i said external walls proberly would have been better with the afore mentiond system.
if i have party walls or internal walls to do and thier not studwork i.e solid construction, and the client wants to reduce noise, i usually spread the soundcoat then either dab soundcheck boards or spread soundcoat put up studwork insulate and board with blue boards but this is because i dnt like useing resilliant bars i prefere sound coat.
it might be worth goin round and trying to screw in the screwheads a bit more so they sit flush this will keep the spread happy and reduce the chance you have of screw heads popping through the plaster. the reason thier a bit harder to screw in is simply just because the boards are quite dense, as you found out when you lifted them haha :LOL:

Thanks Jrp, i don’t have any neighbours to worry about i just thought they would be better say if the TV was on loud in the other room it would cut some of the sound out :LOL: .

The screws are well in and just under flush but as you say they are a denser board.

Thanks for your help

Acoustic boards are usually used in conjunction with resilient bars or acoustic studs, their extra weight means they move less. On resilient bars, they will be used 2 layers thick to support joints. On resilient mounts, their acoustic performance is a few dB better than ordinary boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back