Mira shower pump working once a day!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive a mira shower pump, the one they sell in argos, thats in the loft next to the cold water tank and above the shower. the hotwater tank is in the airing cupboard below the cold water tank in the loft.

the pump will only work after a prolonged period of rest i.e once a day then after that it doesnt work! its casuing friction as me and the wife race home from work for a decent shower!!

after the 'power shower' the shower still works but with no pressure so the pump is letting through water. it just doesnt seem to 'fire' so to speak as its not making no noise. im thinking it may be limescale blocking the motor?? and was going to remove the two top pipes and put so dis-scaler in it??

as uve prob guess im not much use with diy! any help would be apppreciated. im thinking worse case is a new pump at 100 quid

Sponsored Links
It could be that its not getting any water,

check after a shower if there is still water in the tank

as mcluma said you are probably emptying the cylinder of water, powerfull shower more water used in same time period, check ball valve in loft is filling as it should as this could need replacing if this issue is new and shower used to be fine, if the ball valve is fine and problem has been there since pump fitted then get a bigger cylinder fitted.

thanx for the replys.

the water still passes through the pump and the hotwater tank is full. the pump also doesnt make a nosie like it does when its working if this info is any help

Sponsored Links
Could be cutting out due to overheating, but if that were the case then I would expect the pump to stop while you were showering, and recover within half an hour or so. Failing that, perhaps it's the wrong type of pump - if it's fitted up in the loft then you might find you need a negative head pump, as the natural flow with the pump off may not be enough to trigger the flow switch. Perhaps you're right on the limit of the switch, and even a slight drop in water level in the header tank is enough to cause the pump not to switch on.

electronicsuk is on my thought path, hence the question has the pump always had this fault

thanx again for the replys.

the pump has been in and working fine for about 6 years. it just started all of a sudden the other night.

Mmmm not wrong pump then, for £100 you've probably had it's life as a good pump would cost around £250-£300 not helpful i know sorry

just a quick update on the pump............

went in the loft 2day, and got the wife to put the shower on. the shower worked but with no pressure and the pump made no noise. on tapping the side of the pump with a spanner the pump jumped into life and worked!!

any ideas?!? it doesnt seem practical climbing into the loft to wack the pump everytime i need a shower!!

I agree, just replace

write down which pump it is, and when you where up the loft, you should have checked if all four pipes could easily be isolated to replace the pump

I would replace like for like, then you haven't to change the pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back