Kitchen PVC Double Glazed Back Door Won't Open.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Four years ago I had a new double glazed PVC back door fitted in my kitchen. For a while now it has been tricky to lock - I have had to push the handle upwards enough to physically lift the door in order to turn the key to lock it.

Last week I tried to open the door but it appears to be stuck (or still locked) about a third of the way up from the bottom. The top seems to be ok. The lock is working correctly and the handle moves up and down fine.

My guess is that the door has sunk over time to a point now where it will not clear the lower catch (but that is just my guess).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the door open? And if I can, how do I adjust the height of the door in the frame to stop this happening again?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards

Colin

Sponsored Links
You may find that were you have been forcing the handle up you have ripped the back out of the lock, so when you get it open you may not be able to lock it. If it has just dropped you should be able to lift it enough to open in. If it is the lock you will have to go outside prise the the apart to locate the mushrooms and whack em up with a hammer and scrapper.

Try raising the corner of the door with wedges. Junk wood, plastic fixing blocks, whatever, anything that won't damage the plastic. Or lever it up with a plank, put a spacer in to hold. Once the door is up, you might be able to open it.

Some door frames have a sliding spacer on the bottom rail, moving it away from the hinge sometimes helps.

Or: http://www.askabuilder.co.uk/how-to/adjust-double-glazed-doors.html
is pretty comprehensive.

Sponsored Links
to be honest this sounds like a common problem that is the door has dropped which is usually down to poor fitting and what is happening is that the mechanism doesnt line up with the keeps properly any more you can usually tell if the weld on the door doesnt line up with the weld on the frame or you can measure the diagonals on the door. it is not a hard job to rectify you may be able to adjust it on the hinges for now but it probably needs toe and heeling properly to counter the weight of the glass
Hello.

Four years ago I had a new double glazed PVC back door fitted in my kitchen. For a while now it has been tricky to lock - I have had to push the handle upwards enough to physically lift the door in order to turn the key to lock it.

Last week I tried to open the door but it appears to be stuck (or still locked) about a third of the way up from the bottom. The top seems to be ok. The lock is working correctly and the handle moves up and down fine.

My guess is that the door has sunk over time to a point now where it will not clear the lower catch (but that is just my guess).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the door open? And if I can, how do I adjust the height of the door in the frame to stop this happening again?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards

Colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back