Hard wiring a built in oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at buying a new built in oven and am trying to find how easy or complicated it will be to install. Basically the cost for a sparky.

The breaker that the oven is connected to in the main CU is 63A.
Next to the oven in adjacent cupboard i have what i think is the cooker control unit which has a simple switch on the face plate with a red light indicating on/off. Next to this is the cooker outlet box which face plate has a switch and inside is a 13amp fuse. These and the oven are all connected by a grey 10mm flex.

Should the new oven be a straight like for like or will any additional wiring be needed. The house was rewired 3 years ago so im hoping it still all up to date.

The website where im looking at puchasing states it needs a 16amp fuse.
But i have seen other websites saying it can be used on a 13amp power supply.

Any advice please.

EDIT: Taken from user manual

Electrical details
Rated Voltage: 230 Vac 50 Hz
Supply Connection: 13 A (double pole switched fused outlet with 3mm contact gap)
Max Rated Inputs: 2.40 kW
Mains Supply Lead: 3 x 1.5mm

Sponsored Links
From your information the oven will draw 10.4 Amps.

Does it have a plug top on it?

The present circuit is fused down at 13A, thou I am not particularly keen on the idea of a switched fused connection unit behind the cooker this would be suitable for connecting to, assuming the circuit is fit for purpose

Thanks. I should also add the current set up also houses an electric hob. Rating of this i have not got a clue. We will be keeping the exsting hob for the time being. Again all rewired 3 years ago so the circuit is in good condition.

to answer your question all you need to do is isolate the supply from the consumer unit. disconnect the oven currently installed from the cooker outlet and connect the new one up. a 13amp fuse will carry 3kW so your new oven will be fine to do a straight swap.

Sponsored Links
the electric hop explains the 10mm cable. still you will be fine swapping the ovens over. if you can get to under the hob it will tell you the rating if you follow the wire to its housing.

to answer your question all you need to do is isolate the supply from the consumer unit. disconnect the oven currently installed from the cooker outlet and connect the new one up. a 13amp fuse will carry 3kW so your new oven will be fine to do a straight swap.
If he were to "disconnect the oven currently installed from the cooker outlet and connect the new one up" where exactly would the 13A fuse be that you talk about?

What does the "Spark" part of your user name signify? Do you believe that you are a competent electrician, by any chance?

because he says the current circuit is already on a 13amp fused switch. all im saying is that his new oven will go straight in without the need for altering anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back