3 pin BCP Bayonet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So what's the reason for having a different fitting ?

So you can't fit to a normal bulb holder.
Why wouldn't you want to do that ?

:unsure:

Sponsored Links
It is an idea aimed at making the user only use energy saving lamps, something to do with building regs.
However the lamps are more expensive than the normal 2 prong energy saving lamps, currently about 10p in tesco.

I thought that would be the reason.

But don't understand why you can't fit a normal 2 pin into a 3 pin holder.

Unless they are offset differently ? or different diameter ?

Sponsored Links
But don't understand why you can't fit a normal 2 pin into a 3 pin holder.

It was when fillament bulbs where still avaliable, to stop you using them, when you should of been using low energy bulbs, i.e. on new builds.

Just replace the bulb holder with a standard bulb holder, they are around a pound each, and will soon pay for themselves in the money saved in buying overpriced lamps! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just replace the bulb holder with a standard bulb holder, they are around a pound each, and will soon pay for themselves in the money saved in buying overpriced lamps! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Seconded! :D

Anyone know if those (relatively new) 3 pin lampholders will accept the old 3 pin red lamps that were used for electric fires?

My parents bought an electric fire, probably 35+ years ago, and it had three-pin lamp holders for the glow.
The lamps where quite a bit dearer, so my dad swapped the holders for two-pin ones.
I reckon it was just a way of getting you to purchase a particular make at a hiked-up price.

My dad bought a new car on the money he saved on those cheaper lamps :D

Why?

2 brightness settings, or did they double as stop/tail lamps in cars?

Not three electrical connections - Three locating pins on the side of the shell to fit the bayonet lampholder, like this:

2j0f4ed.jpg

Anyone know if those (relatively new) 3 pin lampholders will accept the old 3 pin red lamps that were used for electric fires?

Not 100% sure but I think they may have different angled pins. Try googling for B22d/3 and BC3 as they look slightly different to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back