Gas consumption data logging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me find a product that will log domestic gas consumption data?

Do some meters already support this concept?

If so, how do I identify the ability when looking at the meter?

If not, is logging possible without inserting another meter into the gas supply?

Sponsored Links
I think you mean a GAS METER mate!

simply record the reading at the start (Reading "A")
then record the reading at the end period (Reading "B")
Deduct Reading "A" from Reading "B" = Gas consumption for the period
Simples! ;)

Do I? Do I mean a "GAS METER mate!".

I think not. But you're right in one respect - it is simple.

FYI, my own domestic gas meter doesn't log any data at all - it just shows the accumulated amount of gas used. I haven't seen any domestic gas meter that behaves differently.

What I need to do is log the data for later analysis. By "log" I mean being left unattended to record data that I can load into a PC, for example into a spreadsheet, and analyse the usage.

By "data" I mean either total usage or rate of usage at pre-determined moments in time, which will be at different times of day, and for many days. This isn't a huge amount of data - very little in fact.

Sponsored Links
this might not be very high tech, but in the old days, the then Post Office Strowger telephone exchanges used to photograph the usage meters, so the readings could later be typed in by clerks.

If you could get a time-lapse camera set up, it might do the trick. You would probably have to key the numbers in though, unless a character recognition prog could read the pics.

Perhaps you could even strap a clock or calendar to the top of the gas meter, in shot?

I've looked at those links but they don't show a GAS smart meter currently available.

Electricity load measurement is easy.

In the sentence "The plan is for smart meters to be in every home by 2020"

The word "Plan" is inaccurate and should be replaced with the word "hope." There is no evidence of a Plan that shows what will be done, by whom, and when, to achieve this hope.

Depending on your meter you can build sensors to count the pulses and therefore the gas usage. My meter was replaced with an Actaris G4 last year and this has a magnet that rotates with the dial. You can use a reed switch to detect when the magnet passes by. You will need some electronics knowledge to build the device to count the pulses.

See here for some examples,
http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8881.0

Ben

It would not be very difficult to shine an LED on the rotating test dial and pick up the reflection using a photo transistor when the pointer passes.

At the simplest that could be counted with the old electromagnetic counter as they used to use at John's telephone exchange.

Tony

Thank you for this information.

Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate the time people have taken, and I like JohnD's time-lapse solution, but I was hoping for something proprietary, whereas it looks like I'll have to dope my own silicone wafer to achieve what I want.

Surely there's something out there? Even if it has to be incredibly expensive to buy?

Oh, one more thing: Agile - isn't it time you woke up to the fact that your posts are just not welcome? It's tiresome enough when you peddle your self-aggrandising but otherwise utterly worthless nonsense on other topics, but I'd appreciate it if you would just avoid altogether the ones that I create - there aren't very many of them to avoid. And when I say "appreciate", I mean that it will save me having to tell you to **** off :rolleyes:

Tim : Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:31 am

Tony: Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:36 am

Don't you two sleep at night? :LOL:

...together.

They squabble like an old married couple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back