nissan micra k11 2002/2003

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all / i have a micra with starting problems / it was one of the last k11s / it has given no trouble in 72000 miles but when i start it i have turn the key very slowly until the starter works / the car then runs ok / the problem is that if i turn the key until it will turn no more the starter motor starts and the stops then i have to switch off and start again / i have noticed that i have lost the windscreen wipers twice / could it be the ignition switch or am i missing something / if i take it out any ideas on testing it / thank you / i live in warrington cheshire / thank you / aeolius123

Sponsored Links
Yep, sounds like the ignition switch is failing. What year is the car ?, you may be able to get one from a local scrap yard. If you take the one off in the yard, you can see how to do the job so you don't make any mistakes on your car.

hello all / i have got an ignition switch from a scrap micra / there is only one small screw that fixes it into the barrel / i bit akward but once it is out you only have to levet the socket off the bottom / car now ok but it has made me think about the problems that i could have out on the road so as i intend to keep it for a few years i am going to learn a bit about it so here is two question for all the experts out there / is it possible to change the engine management unit which is situated down at the bottom of the consol with another from a scrap car without any programming by a garage / where is the nats one alarm unit situated and does any one have a circuit diagram of how the alarm is connected into the car / what sensors on the car would stop it from running and what would not / thank you all for the many replies that i am sure that i will get / i9 live in warrington cheshire are there any experts close by / thank you / logan

Nissan agents have all of the security data and diagrams, not available to us mere mortals.....you wont need them anyway, but the fuel pump relay can be a pain. If you cant hear the whirr of the pump, its a blue relay to the left of the battery under a cover. Second one down.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Can I ask a question about the ignition switch? My 1998 K11 Micra is having similar problems over the past 8 weeks the ignition sequence to start the car has been getting progressively worse and now today it took 4 hours to start.
It flooded once (common problem) but the ignition (switch) didnt click and then from that point on the car only started when you released the key and then later it required two turns (back and forth) then several turns and today was a lost cause.
I've removed the switch (not the barrel) and I wanted to know if the problem is (a) the meachnical link between the barrel and switch or (b) the switch innards. If its (a) then if I turn the switch with a screwdriver should the car start? Cos it doesnt always..
Also trouble shooting is hard as I seem to be having two problems the ignition switch and engine flooding due to the fuel pump starting but not the engine.
Anyway put the thing back together (not the cowling) waiting for the part and the only way to start now is to turn the key put pull the switch towards me into the barrel. It started once and is now idling on the drive - I doubt this will work again. (PS Battery OK as are plugs etc as its idling on the drive). Am I right to change the switch? its only £30 less a discount from the local Nissan - does it even make sense to go to breakers to get a used an most likely worn switch? many thanks for any help

Change the switch mate and all should be well.....and at the same time ask your local Nissan man about the replacement wiring loom that plagued these early models. They would always start from cold, but if you switched off again after say ten seconds, no way would they start again due to flooding.

Burnerman, Thanks for the reponse. The car did start again (just now) but again had to pull the switch toward me into the barrel to do it so I was 99.99% sure its the switch and your post makes me 100%. Thanks.

I assume you agree its best to buy a new switch rather than a worn one from breakers yard? ~£25 is a decent wedge but I dont want wife moaning at me if the second switch is already worn and this happens again.
car only has 70K miles and so part from this and a bit of rust its pretty good.

Will defo chase about the "replacement wiring loom" as its nuts that it floods so often. Is this hard to fit?

Thanks again. :D

Personally I don't go near stuff like this from breakers yards - often they are more worn than the original :eek:
Re the replacement loom, its simply replacing new for old - no problems with that one - but do mention it to Mr Nissan and they'll know what I'm on about!

Sponsored Links
Back