Notifiable works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in thinking that if I replace a socket in the kitchen and find the cable to be faulty then I am also allowed to replace the cable without notifying the council ?

Sponsored Links
The requirement regarding notification is as below;

Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact.
This is providing that the replacement cable has the same current carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board.
So if the above is true of your installation, yes.

The requirement regarding notification is as below;

Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact.
This is providing that the replacement cable has the same current carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board.
So if the above is true of your installation, yes.
The requirement regarding not needing notification is as below;

Work consisting of—
(b)replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;

No need for it to have the same capacity.

No need for it to follow the same route.

No need for it not to serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board.

It's all documented here: Schedule 4.

Sponsored Links
surely you are not suggesting the OP, should replace cable, for example 2.5mm T&E for 1.00mm T&E and then re-route it through thermal insulation, are you?
I know what the OP asked and I gave additional information so would hopefully, leave the repaired circuit very much as the original would have been, without fault or damage.
and it's a directive that was given to me by a building controls officer.

surely you are not suggesting the OP, should replace cable, for example 2.5mm T&E for 1.00mm T&E and then re-route it through thermal insulation, are you?
No, I'm not.

Surely you aren't suggesting that if the original cable was wrongly sized, or if it got damaged because it wasn't installed in the right place, that the OP should reproduce those errors when he replaces it, thus breaking the law by contravening P1, are you?

I know what the OP asked and I gave additional information so would hopefully, leave the repaired circuit very much as the original would have been, without fault or damage.
I know what the OP asked too, so I gave him the correct information without all of your incorrect additional information.

and it's a directive that was given to me by a building controls officer.
BCOs do not make laws.

Go and read the law.

Surely you aren't suggesting that if the original cable was wrongly sized, or if it got damaged because it wasn't installed in the right place, that the OP should reproduce those errors when he replaces it, thus breaking the law by contravening P1, are you?
I would not dare.
But I would hope the OP used common sense and installed the circuit as per compliance with part p and BS7671.

BCOs do not make laws.
I would hope they would/could give correct guidance regarding the laws though, as these are normally the people that you deal directly with when inspection time comes.
Very much like a police officer, they don't make the laws either.
But I would not chose to ignore their advise, regarding complying to the law.

Thanks for the answer, the cable that has been replaced is between two sockets, had evidence of impact damage and has been replaced with 2.5mm T&E.

Oh, and I would not take legal advice from a Police Officer or BCO as it's frightening how often they misunderstand or simply don't know so make it up. If I wanted legal advice, I'd ask a solicitor.

Oh, and I would not take legal advice from a Police Officer or BCO as it's frightening how often they misunderstand or simply don't know so make it up.

Indeed. And one has only to look at some police websites to find claims that something is illegal when it is not, or at some local authority websites to see claims that you must do something when there is no such requirement.

Whenever faced with an official claiming that something you've never heard about before is mandatory or against the law, demand to know the precise legislation he believes makes it so, and then check it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back