Kitchen sink won't unblock and I'm running out of ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen sink is blocked up. One day the water was running fine, the next day it was completely blocked.

The water drains away really slowly. If I turn the tap on, after a few seconds it blocks up and can take up to 12 hours to drain away.

I tried Domestos drain unblocker, that didn't do anything, so then I took the U bend off and cleaned that, there was a bit of gunk not a lot. That didn't work.

I got a metal snake and pushed that down about 6ft, I then hit something and couldn't get it past. I've also tried vinegar and carbonate of soda but nothing.
I've sent my boyfriend off to a Plumbers Merchants to buy the strongest drain unblocker he can. If this doesn't work then I'm at a loss as what to do. I really don't want to have to pay a plumber. Any ideas?

I live in a third floor flat and I wondered if any of my neighbours had a block whether this would affect me.

Thanks Charlie

Sponsored Links
you want to be looking @ what the pipe does after 6 foot :idea: . Others won`t affect your waste :cry:

Watch out with that "strongest drain unblocker". If you use it you must follow the instructions to the letter. Too much too quickly and the heat generated can melt open the solvent weld joints, possibly on a joint that is inaccesible.

I have a Ryobi wet and dry vac that I use to try and pull out any blockages. You would be surprised what it can shift.

Might be worth trying before cutting pipes etc.

Sponsored Links
I've got some caustic soda and I'm going to give that ago. The water isn't draining at all now. I've been at work all day and it's still at the same level it was when I left this morning.

I am not clear how waste systems work in flats, but does anyone else in the building have similar problems?

Would the 6' down take you into the next floor, or into the ground?

the thing about using caustic soda is that the more water that is stuck in the pipe the more diluted the caustic soda will be and less effective it will be i would recommend waiting at least 12 hours so that as much water as possible has slowly drained away and then pour the caustic soda in neat adding a small amount of water to get it where the blockage is.

or i use a drain blaster from screwfix its like a huge syringe with a rubber cup on the end you basically fill the sink, block the overflow and any other connecting plugs/waste disposal and pump like mad four or five times it squirts jets of water at high pressure down the plug and is very effective also costs about 4 quid bargain!!

I am not clear how waste systems work in flats, but does anyone else in the building have similar problems?

Yes it would take it down to the next floor, not the ground.

the thing about using caustic soda is that the more water that is stuck in the pipe the more diluted the caustic soda will be and less effective it will be i would recommend waiting at least 12 hours so that as much water as possible has slowly drained away and then pour the caustic soda in neat adding a small amount of water to get it where the blockage is.

or i use a drain blaster from screwfix its like a huge syringe with a rubber cup on the end you basically fill the sink, block the overflow and any other connecting plugs/waste disposal and pump like mad four or five times it squirts jets of water at high pressure down the plug and is very effective also costs about 4 quid bargain!!

I don't think the water is draining at all now. I think I'll get on Screwfix and try the drain blaster. Thanks

Yes it would take it down to the next floor, not the ground.
I haven't asked any of the other flats if their having a problem. I think I may have to do that.

I would, as if they are then there may be an issue that isnt down to you to sort out. Is the block managed by a company? As I say, I dont know how flats "work".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back