Broken room thermostat ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The heating is coming on when the thermostat is set to 10C but it's about 19C in the house (which is too warm for me!) If I turn the thermostat off, the heating doesn't come on. Does it sound like the thermostat is broken rather than something to do with the boiler?

If it is the thermostat, is it best to get a digital or an analogue one? (I like to be fuel efficient, so whichever is more efficient would suit me best.) Roughly how much do they cost to replace? Can a normal electrician do it or does it have to be a central heating contractor?[/u]

Sponsored Links
By off I mean I turn the thermostat right down. The thermostat goes down to zero.

Certainly sounds as though its the Room stat at fault then. Only other possibilty could be a Motorised Valve (if you have any).

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
At what temperature does the heating turn OFF when roomstat is set at 10?

Diymum, does it make an audible 'click' when you turn the 'stat up and down? If so, at what temp reading does it do this?

It does sound as tho' it's the 'stat all right, as it does appear to be doing the on/off switching bit ok, but just not at the correct temp.

Differences between digital vs analogue? None, except digital ones have nice displays... However, digital ones come in a few different forms, some of which are more 'clever' so can be better:

Do you know what a 'Programmable Room Stat' is? These are electronic room 'stats with a CLOCK in them, and have an LCD display. You set them to give you the TEMP you want at the TIME you want, and then you leave it to get on with controlling the temp of your house (eg: automatically coming on at 19oC at 7am, going down to 15oC at 9am, back up to 19oc at 5pm, down to 12oC for overnight use at 10pm... etc, etc.) Good ones - like the Heatmiser - will automatically work out when your heating needs to come on in the morning to give you the temp you want at, say, 7am. So, as the weather becomes more mild, it'll come on much later. Also, you won't forget to turn it down when you go out, and it'll automatically come back on at the time you've set. This way, it can save you fuel - less waste.

Ah! There you are Dev's dear boy! Come stai, oggi? Lu. x

DIYmummy, now's the chance to test your DIY skills: Make a note of the connections to that room 'stat, switch off the power (usually at a local fused connection unit) and then disconnect those wires from the 'stat. Then restore the power: If the heating still comes on, then it's bound to be a sticky micro-switch to the motorised valve and not the 'stat.

Lucia.

I've been having a bit of a fiddle with the stat and have worked out that putting on 10C keeps the house on about 17C during the day (mostly the heating doesn't come on. The house maintains residule heat at that temp) and putting it on about 12 during the evening keeps on at about 18-19 inthe evening/first thing in the morning. I also turned the dial right up and it didn't get as high as the maximum, whereas it goes below the minimum. So I've come to the conclusion that the dial has got shifted out. It works for the time being, but we'll get it changed.

DeviledAvocado - thanks for the info about the programmable stats. It sounds great! We'll deifnitely have to get one of those.

PrinceofDarkness - no way! I don't do electrical stuff it terrifies me!

But DH's best friend is a qualified electrician, so we'll get him to change it next time he visits (and I've bought the thing!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back