Lidl Thermostatic Shower Mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See Final Result at bottom.
My shower control was bought from Lidl, it is chrome, horizontal bar type with controls at each end. Excellent quality, 5 year warranty, efficient and less than half the price of anything similar.
However, I need to replace the thermostatic valve as it now only provides warm water instead of hot. I do not have the receipt. I rang Lidl and they could not help with parts, advice, etc.. They only stock the item a couple of times a year and never know when - otherwise I would have bought a new one.

I have taken my mixer tap to a couple of Plumbing Merchants but they cannot identify a similar replacement thermostatic valve.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement thermostatic valve for it please?
Also, how do I get the valve out - as it is not obvious?
It doesn't seem to want to screw or pull out. I have replaced other makes without a problem.
Many thanks
Getting great feedback!
Further as a result of comments:
Soaked the inside in limescale remover for hours and flushed it out. Same problem.
Now taken it out and put it on a shower in another house. Same problem.
It may be that the valve is not replaceable!

The first of the recommendations seems to be the most sensible - if impossible to replace the thermostatic valve.

Thanks for all your valuable interest and input!

Final result:
Lidl came back to me with details of the supplier and their local telephone number.
The unit is Italian (Socomesit) and I was connected to their agent in Italy who is putting a new thermostat cartridge in the post - free of charge.
Despite some negative comments on this site about the product and Lidl - they have come up trumps!
I still believe it is a great product, excellent service support and at a fantastic price. I am more than satisfied and thank everyone for their advice and comments! Well done DIYnot forum and Lidl!
Hope this information helps others?

Sponsored Links
slister";p="1901403 said:
My shower control was bought from Lidl, it is chrome, horizontal bar type with controls at each end. Excellent quality, 5 year warranty, efficient and less than half the price of anything similar.However, I need to replace the thermostatic valve as it now only provides warm water instead of hot. I do not have the receipt. I rang Lidl and they could not help with parts, advice, etc.. They only stock the item a couple of times a year and never know when - otherwise I would have bought a new one.

I have taken my mixer tap to a couple of Plumbing Merchants but they cannot identify a similar replacement thermostatic valve.
Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement thermostatic valve for it please? Also, how do I get the valve out - as it is not obvious? It doesn't seem to want to screw or pull out. I have replaced other makes without a problem.
slister";p="1901403 said:
I'm afraid I can't help with any of your problems, but what is the point of the 5 year warranty, if Lidl can't help. Frankly, it serves you right for buying a plumbing product from a low end green grocer!

I don't do plumbing but understood that any fitting has to be approved, and marked accordingly. am I right, and are these type of products actually legal to fit in the UK?

And another thing ! It does my head in when I'm waiting at a merchant for ages because some retail punter is blithering on about, normally, a seized tap headwork, and the assistant is going through boxes of bits to find a match. SELL A NEW TAP!!

I don't do plumbing but understood that any fitting has to be approved, and marked accordingly. am I right,

fraid not, the merchants can sell any old rubbish, its up to the installer to ensure its fit for purpose.

Sponsored Links
You have just realised the down-sides to buying bargain basement plumbing fittings, ie they don't last long and spares are nigh-on impossible to source.

Did it come with instructions with a manufacturers/importers details?

I strongly advise you to bite the bullet, and buy one from a reputable manufacturer who will stand by their guarantee, and be able to supply spares when needed.

http://www.mytub.co.uk/product_information.php?product=312229

Your mixer is probably Chinese made. It has lasted as long as expected.

1. PERFORMANCE CRITERIA FOR MECHANICAL TESTING
1.1. Requirements for Water Fittings
The Water Fittings Regulations’ requirements for water fittings (Regulation 4) are
1. Every water fitting shall –
(a) be of an appropriate quality and standard; and
(b) be suitable for the circumstances in which it is used.
2. For the purposes of this Regulation, a water fitting is of an appropriate standard
only if-
(a) it bears an appropriate CE marking in accordance with the Directive;
(b) it conforms to an appropriate harmonized standard or European technical
approval;
(c) it conforms to an appropriate British Standard or some other national
specification of an EEA State which provides an equivalent level of protection
and performance; or
(d) it conforms to a specification approved by the regulator.

Sorry to be off topic slightly, but I knew there was something! However, if the Lidl carp is CE marked in Poland or wherever, it seems ok to use here. I'm sure that wasnt the case in the "good old days" :rolleyes:

I think we are talking at cross purposes here, the merchants can sell what ever they like, ce marked or not, approved or not, it has a bs number or not, its up to the plumber/installer to make sure its fit for purpose.

Are you sure it’s the shower that’s at fault? Could be other problems, boiler, combi heat exchanger, and numerous other factors.

Can you put a picky on the forum? This might help.

Are you sure it’s the shower that’s at fault? Could be other problems, boiler, combi heat exchanger, and numerous other factors.

Can you put a picky on the forum? This might help.

ive got the same shower as you and it works perfectly

expergasman......£25 quid for a bar shower, if it breaks in 4 years time take it back to lidl and get a full refund (even if they stocked them they dont replace them only refund you) always a good arguement starter when i talk to my mate the mira sport kid :LOL:

if lidl dont have any in stock and you dont have a receipt ud be as well to buy elsewhere its a simple swap over

Ray

Prob just scale so stick cartridge in white vinegar for a day that will disolve it and leave it like new . Even expensive ones scale up , my 300 quid mira did but the wife liked the nice big chrome plate on the front :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your valuable interest and input!

Final result:
Lidl came back to me today with details of the supplier and their (local) telephone number.
The unit is Italian (Socomesit) and I was connected to their agent in Italy who is posting to me a new thermostat cartridge - free of charge.
Despite some negative comments on this site about the product and Lidl - they have come up trumps!
I still believe it is a great product, excellent service support and at a fantastic price. I am more than satisfied and thank everyone for their advice and comments! Well done DIYnot forum and Lidl!
Hope this information may help others?

We fitted about 200 of these bar mixers, between a Hotel contract & private homes etc. Never had a problem with them, great value for money. I do recall phoning the manufacturer in Italy at the time & they could not have been more helpfull, they answered all my questions regarding spares, inlet pressures etc etc.

Clearly we are paying far too much for our brassware here in the UK & there's a huge cartel of manufacturers keeping the prices high. Jeeze, all you need to do is cross the Channel, sanitary ware & brass ware is as cheap as chips in France!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back