Missing BT master socket & cut telephone wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently had building work done at home and think that out master BT socket has been removed. We have 2 remaining extension sockets - which don't work and the main wire that comes out of the dark grey/black BT socket which is in our garage and runs along the guttering of our house has also been cut as we had an extension built.

We have had the house for just over a year and hadn't had a landline so didn't really pay much notice to it untill now :confused:

I'd contacted BT to report a fault as we had no dial tone - at this point we did not realise the wire was cut! :( They said it would be £130 for someone to come and take a look at it and then i'm assuming will cost us more to have new wiring and a master socket. Am i right in thinking that BT will only take responsibilty for the wiring up to the grey box? Not from the grey box into our house?

Can I get a new master socket fitted by someone else or can we do it ourselves? My husband is very handy around the home and electrically minded. We just need one phone socket to be working so that we can use it for our broad band.

Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Sponsored Links
BT are responsible for the cable up to the master socket where ever it is located.

It seems you are setting up an account for a new line as a new customer in which case BT almost certainly will install a new NTE 5 ( master socket ) as part of the new customer costs.

If they don't they cannot supply you with a telephone service which means they could not complete their side of the contract.

The previous owners had a BT land line so when i enquired about reconnection BT said it would be free as they had run line tests they would be able to reconnect from there without a technian coming to us.

Would it still be BTs responsibilty to sort out the wiring from the grey box in the garage to the master socket (which we do not have) in the house, even if it's been cut by our builders?

I'd gone with BT as they had said the connection would be free and now i'm finding out that i need more stuff doing and they want me to pay. I've paid upfront for 12month line rental so can't get that back and they aren'y very helpful on the phone :(

I think that the connection would have been free providing the house has a working line. The fact a 3rd party has cut it off will probably end up with you (or the 3rd party) paying for it.
Only BT are meant to work on the cabling up to their master socket.

Sponsored Links
That wire "that comes out of the grey box" and has then been cut sounds as though it needs connecting to a new master socket.
Why not buy one and connect it? If your problem is then solved, you can reposition it and connect other extensions etc etc as required.
If not, you will only be down by the couple of pounds that a master costs.

In theory, only BT should connect the master, but hey, some people do far worse!

Shout if you need any details about the cable pairs, or
http://www.clarity.it/

Do you have a working landline or have you ever had a working line in your house ?,the reason i ask is if its never worked since you moved in you cannot report a fault and secondly if you are having the line activated it will be tested after it is jumpered in the exchange and when it does not see the NTE it will fail the line test.A new circuit fault will be raised for a engineer to come out and do what ever work is needed to get your line working upto the master socket,until it passes a line test your line has not been installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back