Potential Disaster - Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After removing our existing wooden bath panel on Sunday I found an old curtain had been scrunched up and placed behind the panel. Strange I thought as I had not seen this before.

Stranger still underneath the curtain to my horror was a live electric socket which powers the shower!!

Despite not being a plumber/sparky myself I realise this is potentially extremely dangerous.

The socket appears to run from downstairs and then under the bath up a wall to where the electric shower is currently housed.

Can anyone advise of the safest and quickest way of repairing this?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
I do not know about quick, but the powershower switch needs to outside the bathroom, so have a look where you can fit that, do away with the socket, make it hard wired in to a FUSED SPUR to the powershower BEST with an RCD FUSED spur to be precize

Was the shower connected via a standard 13 amp plug? Is the cable standard 2.5mm twin and earth?

If its an 8 kw shower, you are likely to need 6mm twin and earth. Anything larger needs 10mm.

You need a sparkie.

Sounds almost as frightening as when I discovered that my brother's shower wasn't earthed! :eek: I had used it many times before.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back