Installing a bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house i'm looking to buy does not appear to have a bathroom extractor fan in it.

How much work is involved in fitting one (by a professional)?

There is currently a vent on the wall so that would be a natural place for the extractor fan to go. However, that would mean some disruption to the tiling in the bathroom which is something i'm trying to avoid.

My other option is to use a ceiling/light extractor fan as that would mean no issues with the existing tiling in the bathroom and also little or no rewiring, but it would mean punching a new hole in the side of the house to let the vent out.

Sponsored Links
I'm just assuming that a proper extractor fan will remove moisture and smells from the bathroom more efficiently than just a vent on the wall.

Just a thought to save disruption cant the electrical feed be supplied via another adjacent room.

Plus you need an isolation switch for said fan put somewhere too. Being unqualified and not skilled enough to answer the rest!

Sponsored Links
I'm just assuming that a proper extractor fan will remove moisture and smells from the bathroom more efficiently than just a vent on the wall.
It more than likely will, but before I would install one. I would find out if one was needed.
The fan will need a live feed from either a socket spur, using a fuse connection unit to down fuse the current or it can be taken from the light fitting. You will also need to fit an isolation switch.
They are noramlly linked up to the bathroom lights and a timer will be on the fan, this will allow the fan to run when the light is turned on, then overrun for a period of time when the light is switched off, this will allow for removal of moisture, condesation and smells.
If you want to avoid disruption of he tiles, your best option will be through the ceiling, then vented to outside.
If this is a loft above access should be easier and the vent can be routed and vented out through the soffit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back