Replacing Double Socket with FCU for electric fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding replacing an existing double socket with an FCU for an electric fire. At present the double socket has a spur for another socket and the ring main. Is it possible to simply replace the socket with a switched FCU? Thanks for any advice

View media item 31286

Sponsored Links
I agree with ricicle.

If it can be supplied from a 13A plug into the existing socket, then that's an easy solution.

If it draws more than 13A, then it won't be possible to use a spur of any sort.

If you're really sold on having a fused spur instead of plugging in, you'll have to widen the double socket to a dual back box, then fit a single socket alongside your fused spur - or halve the back box to a fused spur only. But why make the extra work for yourself ....

PJ

Sponsored Links
You'd struggle to get four 2.5 T&Es in a single box.

Leave the double and put a single box next to it for your FCU.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I would prefer to have it connected without a plug as it looks neater. I don't use the existing double socket at all really - plenty of other sockets in the room. Is it possible to have both the existing spur to a double socket and a new spur to a new FCU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back