Faulty thermostatic shower mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A local firm installed my shower mixer, it did not work long :(
The hot water comes off an oil fired Rayburn and there is plenty pressure.The plumber says that the water was too hot and has ruined the therostatic valve, I think that other people are bound to have similar hot water off a ombi boiler for example.
The water is cold all the time now, and when i turn the temperature up a bit it cuts the water off completely.
Grateful for any solutions
Cheers,
calmac

Sponsored Links
Hi
I had a similar problem when I had installed a new shower with thermostatic mixer and a shower pump to improve the water pressure. I had a gravity DHW/ pumped CH at the time with a header tank in loft; hot water pressure was not that great hence the need for a pump. The thermostat on the tank was not regulating the temperature so the boiler was continuously heating the water when it was on. The shower would work fine for about 2 minutes and then would go cold. Turning mixer for more hot water only reduced the water flow ie no hot water comming through. Both hot and cold water were run through the pump to ensure water pressures were balanced. The pump was not cavitating, no trapped air, there was plenty of hot water in the cylinder (as bathroom sink tap still ran hot water) and came to the same conclusion that the hot water was too hot and overheating the termostat.
Solution - I replaced the thermostatic mixer with a manual one and it worked fine (once the right temp had been adjusted).
For other reasons, I recently updated the DHW tank to a pressurised one with the water temp appropriately controlled (tank thermostat at around 60 deg C, motorised valve and pump). Out of curiosity, I reinstalled the original thermostatic mixer (mains pressure hot and cold water) and it works perfect!
Cheers
Alastair

Sponsored Links
Hi
I had a similar problem when I had installed a new shower with thermostatic mixer and a shower pump to improve the water pressure. I had a gravity DHW/ pumped CH at the time with a header tank in loft; hot water pressure was not that great hence the need for a pump. The thermostat on the tank was not regulating the temperature so the boiler was continuously heating the water when it was on. The shower would work fine for about 2 minutes and then would go cold. Turning mixer for more hot water only reduced the water flow ie no hot water comming through. Both hot and cold water were run through the pump to ensure water pressures were balanced. The pump was not cavitating, no trapped air, there was plenty of hot water in the cylinder (as bathroom sink tap still ran hot water) and came to the same conclusion that the hot water was too hot and overheating the termostat.
Solution - I replaced the thermostatic mixer with a manual one and it worked fine (once the right temp had been adjusted).
For other reasons, I recently updated the DHW tank to a pressurised one with the water temp appropriately controlled (tank thermostat at around 60 deg C, motorised valve and pump). Out of curiosity, I reinstalled the original thermostatic mixer (mains pressure hot and cold water) and it works perfect!
Cheers
Alastair
I see where you are coming from, looks like a manual mixer will be the solution.Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back