British Gas quote for new boiler

If you have an indirect cylinder for hot water why are they suggesting a combi? This creates more work.

Surely the cheapest way is a like for like modern boiler retaining the existing hot water cylinder - or is there something I don't know?

Sponsored Links
BG always expensive imo and get a sale where they can

SERVICE ENGINEERS have targets to SELL so many jobs which i think is ******!!!

My uncle a month ago had the usual BG servie and lo and behold they turned the boiler off. a worcester 9.24..22years old and mint.

The studs pressed into the case at the back had pulled out thus leaving the case unable to seal. (my view is they tightened as hard as they could to pop them out) Anyway his combi swap quote from BG was £2100 or something like that. I said to him we can mend the boiler case if u want as all it does is make a seal- so weather its brackets on the side or something else i will get it to seal.

My uncle said its been in 22 years so had a good run bang a new one in.

So i fitted him a remeha avanta 28kw for 1k. saving him over 1k and its prob a better boiler than the worsecter and a better job done by me.

;)

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
BG prices are ALWAYS over the top by about £1000.00 and it's not always the best job, shop around and preferably get someone recommended, you must know a friend neighbour relative or work colleage who can recommend someone reputable, unless you have no friends or are a hermit.

ageed.

the quality of the installation is generally better if its done by direct labour though.

ive not found BG installations as a whole to be any worse than joe plumber. at least BG bother to upgrade the electrics and gas pipes size etc.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
BG prices are ALWAYS over the top by about £1000.00 and it's not always the best job, shop around and preferably get someone recommended, you must know a friend neighbour relative or work colleage who can recommend someone reputable, unless you have no friends or are a hermit.

Not always pvm...BG will do a combi exchange fitting a worcester greenstar for 1500, I've seen loads of them.

not anymore. that stopped completely this month

B.O.B DOLE said:
A favorite trick bg do is you need a new boiler so matter what the fault is and its £2000

more slander without any basis. this rubbish could apply to any heating company

namsag said:
Standard BG computer generated letter advises all customers with a boiler over ten year old that parts could be in short supply and advise new boiler,scare tactic that works. BG pricing policy can be very strange, as ollski says £1500 for wall mounted combi change (good price ) to one i went to this week for a ten year old worcester 350 floor standing where they wanted £6500 just for the boiler but give the sales man his due he said there was nothing up with the boiler and advised them not to bother for at least another 5 years which i confirmed with customer... As for original question as ollski says to many variables to give quotes out on a forum especially with all new regs etc

i think im right when i say the "standard letter" as you put it, is actually sent to all BG customers with boilers over ten years old advising them of the age versus effeciency.

there are i believe seperate letters for both low stock of parts and an obsolete stock.....not sure about this but i might try and find out now.

the BG salesmans computer is full of bad juju and no one knows how they come up with their final prices. however the "£1500" quote actually changed last year to £1850. it has now stopped but it was for a straight swop of combis with no NCS flues or ventilation. it was a national price guide so should be seperated from all salesman quotes as they were never involved in these combi swop quotes, the engineers did it.

and before anyone asks the inevitable question.....no im not a BG engineer......i just do my homework :rolleyes:

dan the man said:
My uncle a month ago had the usual BG servie and lo and behold they turned the boiler off. a worcester 9.24..22years old and mint.

The studs pressed into the case at the back had pulled out thus leaving the case unable to seal. (my view is they tightened as hard as they could to pop them out) Anyway his combi swap quote from BG was £2100 or something like that. I said to him we can mend the boiler case if u want as all it does is make a seal- so weather its brackets on the side or something else i will get it to seal.

:

doing that would make the boiler at risk...good way to get in trouble from corgi and possibly bump off that pesky octogenarian uncle hoarding all his cash. ;)

do you actually have any proof of them deliberately breaking the boiler or do your sour grapes prevent you from seeing fault with a 22 yr old boiler.

Nickso the post is a year and a half old, best to let it disappear again. Got to say you have some very odd homework topics.

ollski said:
Nickso the post is a year and a half old, best to let it disappear again. Got to say you have some very odd homework topics.
#

ah fair play ill let it go then :oops:

i like to know what the competition is up to thats all ;)

IJWS15 said:
If you have an indirect cylinder for hot water why are they suggesting a combi? This creates more work.

Surely the cheapest way is a like for like modern boiler retaining the existing hot water cylinder - or is there something I don't know?

You clearly have not done the energy efficiency course or checked the building regulations in Part L !

When a new boiler is fitted the hot water cylinder has to be upgraded unless its a recent foam insulated type with a fast reheat coil.

Tony

As I said - there was something I don't know!

So I have a copper cylender with no foam - would it need upgrading if I changed the boiler - even though it is only 4 1/2 years old!

It does have 6" of fibreglass insulation around it!

nickso said:
dan the man said:

:

doing that would make the boiler at risk...good way to get in trouble from corgi and possibly bump off that pesky octogenarian uncle hoarding all his cash. ;)

do you actually have any proof of them deliberately breaking the boiler or do your sour grapes prevent you from seeing fault with a 22 yr old boiler.

no sour grapes here, never had personal dealing with BG NOR i ever will. I saved my uncle some cash and as for the sealing id have called it engineering judgement.

I personally know BG engineers who told me about selling..

dan the man said:
nickso said:
dan the man said:

:

no sour grapes here, never had personal dealing with BG NOR i ever will. I saved my uncle some cash and as for the sealing id have called it engineering judgement.

I personally know BG engineers who told me about selling..

unfortunately it doesnt really matter what your engineering judgement is in that case...its at risk.

BG engineers are encouraged to get salesmen the appointments....nothing wrong with that in theory.

they have no set targets to meet but are expected to have made at least one appointment per month. there are no reprimands for not making one appointment per month

Of course they sell, so does everyone else here. You would be a pretty useless business owner if you didn't (or didn't expect your staff) to sell your products and services. A non sealing case is at risk minumum and a modification to fix is an absolute no no unless approved by the manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back