British Gas quote for new boiler

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
BG prices are ALWAYS over the top by about £1000.00 quote]

Now I have to disagree on that point.

On average £2500

David

Sponsored Links
I love priceing jobs up when a customer has had a quote first from BG. ;)

msc said:
Hello
I have got a quote from BG for a new boiler. They recommended a Bosch combi to replace the floor standing cast iron >30yrs age Cavalier Crane Boiler (in Kitchen). It is for CH and heats water via a indirect water cylinder. They have quoted £4000 all inclusive (seems expensive). I have been finding it difficult to get another quote from local plumbers (for a Vaillant or Bosch boiler). I suspect a reasonable sum would be £3000. PS the boiler would have to supply water to a new shower (no bath), basin and kitchen sink. BGs quote includes removing the cylinder, and water tanks in the loft. Thanks in advance for any advice.

msc

A fool and their money are soon parted

especially if they pay BG to install a boiler

Example of BG over selling this week ...Customer been sold 2 CO detectors . One rightly so for the bbu fitted in lounge . The other one fitted in the airing cupboard where the potentially lethal 36 by 18 standard cylinder was fitted, nothing else in the house . Guy must have won salesman of the year... Nickso you really have to brush up on your homework, other than what has already been pointed out, replying to a year and a half post with todays prices.... You say BG engineers are encouraged to get leads for salesmen and there i nothing wrong in that... Agreed but when the same engineers can be disiplined for not getting sales and are under constant pressure to raise new business and charge for work that is covered under contract this is wrong. As you have said you are not BG so you dont really have a clue what goes on.. I on other hand was a BG union official and regularly stood in for area management and some of the information that was avialable to me regards practises used to get a sale would make your hair stand on end. It has subsided over past couple of years but it is still there to a degree.

Sponsored Links
now that wants to get to the papers! CO detector in cylinder cupboard- get some mroe info on that and ill post it on evey forum i know as quality :LOL:

As for the AR case, i didnt just mean brackets i could have got some new studs pressed or welded in original position then same as oem. anyway who gives a toss its in boiler heaven now :!:

I always advise 2 co detectors aswell one upstairs and one downstairs same as I have myself. Customer can stick them wherever they like but I kind of prefer near the loft hatch.

we had a boiler fitted by b.g. recently. found we could have sourced the boiler ourselves for literally half the price! the service agreement is a sweetner. the basic one is fine,have your boiler serviced etc,etc. the one they are offering as a sop to disguise the astronomical prices they charge are less useful. ours covers electrics and kitchen appliances but NOT electric kitchen appliances. how we laughed!!(not)

vivandpete said:
we had a boiler fitted by b.g. recently. found we could have sourced the boiler ourselves for literally half the price! the service agreement is a sweetner. the basic one is fine,have your boiler serviced etc,etc. the one they are offering as a sop to disguise the astronomical prices they charge are less useful. ours covers electrics and kitchen appliances but NOT electric kitchen appliances. how we laughed!!(not)

i suggest you read the terms and conditions then before you try to claim for something that is not covered.....as with any company they are not running a charity for lazy idiots who cant be bothered to find out what they are covered for

namsag said:
Example of BG over selling this week ...Customer been sold 2 CO detectors . One rightly so for the bbu fitted in lounge . The other one fitted in the airing cupboard where the potentially lethal 36 by 18 standard cylinder was fitted, nothing else in the house . Guy must have won salesman of the year... Nickso you really have to brush up on your homework, other than what has already been pointed out, replying to a year and a half post with todays prices.... You say BG engineers are encouraged to get leads for salesmen and there i nothing wrong in that... Agreed but when the same engineers can be disiplined for not getting sales and are under constant pressure to raise new business and charge for work that is covered under contract this is wrong. As you have said you are not BG so you dont really have a clue what goes on.. I on other hand was a BG union official and regularly stood in for area management and some of the information that was avialable to me regards practises used to get a sale would make your hair stand on end. It has subsided over past couple of years but it is still there to a degree.

the prices i quoted were valid when the OP was but i take your point that i should have checked the post date. funny how no one else has been derided for it though.

agreed they are under constant pressure to raise new business and the COD example is clearly a terrible thing to do whoever you work for. must be bad round your way though because i can say with 100% certainty that no BG engineer has ever been disciplined for not raising business in this area. perhaps you as a union official should have done something about that.

raden said:
msc said:
Hello
I have got a quote from BG for a new boiler. They recommended a Bosch combi to replace the floor standing cast iron >30yrs age Cavalier Crane Boiler (in Kitchen). It is for CH and heats water via a indirect water cylinder. They have quoted £4000 all inclusive (seems expensive). I have been finding it difficult to get another quote from local plumbers (for a Vaillant or Bosch boiler). I suspect a reasonable sum would be £3000. PS the boiler would have to supply water to a new shower (no bath), basin and kitchen sink. BGs quote includes removing the cylinder, and water tanks in the loft. Thanks in advance for any advice.

msc

and this statement is based on.........???????

I agree Geoff

Going back to basics here, but have you had local reputable RGI's to quote aswell?

David

nickso, mate get over yourself. perhaps if you had the brains to read the posting properly,you would note that at no point did we mention making a claim.we did bother to read the stuff which is how we knew what was covered ! as for lazy and idiots, the phrase pot and kettle spring to mind.dont work for b.g. do you?

its a strange and peculiar fact of life that no matter what it costs you for a car, house even a boiler you can ALWAYS find out after its done that someone could have done or got it cheaper.

if you were happy with the job that BG did, dont beat yourself up over the price.

I am sure that even our erstwile polish friends have people under cutting them

get over it

corgiman said:
its a strange and peculiar fact of life that no matter what it costs you for a car, house even a boiler you can ALWAYS find out after its done that someone could have done or got it cheaper.

if you were happy with the job that BG did, dont beat yourself up over the price.

I am sure that even our erstwile polish friends have people under cutting them

get over it

yes great post..always someone cheaper somewhere but as with all things if u have paid good miney u expect a good job - service.

vivandpete said:
nickso, mate get over yourself. perhaps if you had the brains to read the posting properly,you would note that at no point did we mention making a claim.we did bother to read the stuff which is how we knew what was covered ! as for lazy and idiots, the phrase pot and kettle spring to mind.dont work for b.g. do you?

and if you had bothered to read previous posts then you would have noted that i dont work for BG.....pot kettle again perhaps?!?

your original post was very unclear and of the usual anti-BG flavour. to which "astronomical" prices do you refer?. you clearly didnt check before you got them to install a boiler worth "half the price"...as with anything hindsight is a wonderful thing. perhaps if you got off you backside before you accepted the install (including the so called "sweetner") then you could have avoided your current second thoughts.

you dont say however if the install was satisfactory or if you just want to jump on the lets kick BG bandwagon for the sake of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back